Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMGUbuntu Arch and Manjaro

Beans

Re: OMGUbuntu Arch and Manjaro

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Just an innocent tongue-in-cheek jab, since the "accepted wisdom" at this forum is that only a complete reinstall will do (I've always just upgraded myself). Ubuntu is quick to install if you stick close to the default setup. Part of the reason that I switched to Arch was that my preferred setup involved installing a bunch of packages from Universe, a bunch of PPAs, some things backported with apt-src, and about half a dozen things that I had to install from upstream source using checkinstall or dpkg-buildpackage ('cause sometimes one worked but not the other).

At that point Arch makes more sense, but only at that point.
    You need to stick to default set up only if you 'upgrade'. I never 'upgrade' so I meant a clean install.

My setup is very far from default. clean install is fast if you have a separate /home. Fast to get the thing up and running and reinstalling applications from ppas. So with less than an hour I can get things back to where it was, more or less, with the exceptions of applications that I compiled, system settings tweaks etc. Those will take longer to recover (which 'upgrade' would destroy anyway if it works at all,--by 'works' I mean not completely breaking the system)

But now I do something else.

I never get new OS on release day, always wait about 3 months for bug fixes. I install the new OS in an external drive, check in may be twice a week to run updates and do some tweaking, compiling, adding ppas, editing config files etc, Since it is not mission critical I can experiment a bit, no pressure, no rush. In 3 months I would have a perfectly tweaked and customized system ready to go. When I have to upgrade I just wipe my internal drive, clone the external and restore it over, no nasty surprises, no new tweaking required, everything is good to go as is. There is no gap between transition.

I can appreciate the Arch way, but the setting up is so painful that it had better be rolling, I doubt that anyone would want to do that every 6 months.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arch isn't bad. I didn't mind the setup, I learned quite a bit more about the CLI for installing Linux and seeing how much really pours into getting everything ready to go. The thing I liked about Manjaro vs Arch is it already looking nice, GUI for AURs, and ease of installation. Now on Manjaro I have an issue with one package not downloading to install to be able to update the system where Arch is was servers weren't connecting too well. Either way I'm back on Manjaro and will try arch another day. I can see why people use either of them - fast, clean, simple not overloaded with "bloatware"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I installed Bridge Linux and ArchBang here last year. I chose them over Manjaro because both use the Arch repos -- they're still considered "not Arch," and you won't get help with them at the Arch forums, but they're closer to Arch than Manjaro is. After a few months, I liked Bridge and ArchBang so much that I went ahead and installed Arch. I still have all three installations going great here.

Yes, Arch takes some work to install and set up, but if you're okay with that and you're willing to do some reading and can follow instructions, it's well worth it. The Arch wiki is awesome, and pacman, the package manager, is great to use. You end up with a system that includes only packages that you want, not a bunch of other stuff.

The article mentioned in this thread's first post is a good read: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/a...1+Ubuntu%21%29

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Now on Manjaro I have an issue with one package not downloading to install to be able to update the system...
    Could you provide details wrt the error ie output of pacman or yaourt from cli please and I'll try and help.

Beans
    Distro

It keeps doing the operation taking too long. I implemented my own fix for it:

Go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg and find a server with the package you need e.g.:
    sudo wget -c http://the.mirror.site/arch/extra/os...1-2-3-4.tar.xz

Then run: sudo pacman -Su or sudo pacman -S <packagename>

And it will install.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

I think its my network connection, it happens all the time. I've tried those steps and even used the reflector app to try and fix it as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've used Arch a bit, but I quickly realized the DIY nature of the thing didn't payoff in any way I found meaningful. In the end, it's a good, efficient distribution with access to a lot of software. But, it's certainly not the only one. You will get new code soon after release, although if you don't make the effort to regularly check the site and/or subscribe to mailing lists, you are liable to update your way into troible

Someone who finds that downside acceptable in return for early access to new stuff should also look at Fedora Rawhide, too.

If someone just wants the newer software and has no interest in fussing with Arch's care and feeding, Manjaro is a very good alternative.

Beans
    Distro

I've had a few things I've had to work out, and it'll help when working with others here on the forums. Like I had to create a modprobe for my alsa configuration for pulseaudio to even playback audio - and use amixer to toggle mute (why it goes on mute, no clue).

Wireless networking via terminal. - This has always been a pain, but this wifi-menu app is awesome! I wonder if I can install it in Ubuntu. Hmm... I'm back to testing out conky scripts. There's just a variety of fun things where I have a more finite control of what newer software I want/need besides PPAs.

Yeah there's quite a bit, I'm learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes to "Manjaro is not Arch" -- it's a based-on-Arch distro. On the Slackware side, Salix is a similarly user-friendly based-on distro. I use both now and then, and they're both stable and pretty snappy on old hardware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12