Thread: Disabling PolicyKit password prompts

Beans

Disabling PolicyKit password prompts

To make my system more secure I want to disable all PolicyKit password prompts when I am logged in as a user with account type of "Administrator".

Is there a way to auto-approve all PolicyKit password prompts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Disabling PolicyKit password prompts

I have a hard time relating increasing system security to disabling password prompts..
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

if a local user is compromised then it is easy to let's say add a phony "synaptic" in my path which then would prompt for a root password and by phishing that password you get elevated privileges from local to root.

if synaptic launches with no password prompt, and there are no superfluous password prompts then it gets much harder to phish for root password. therefore disabling password prompts makes the system more secure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see the point in phishing for a root password when it's disabled by default in Ubuntu.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ani View Post
    if a local user is compromised then it is easy to let's say add a phony "synaptic" in my path which then would prompt for a root password and by phishing that password you get elevated privileges from local to root.

if synaptic launches with no password prompt, and there are no superfluous password prompts then it gets much harder to phish for root password. therefore disabling password prompts makes the system more secure.
    Well, I’m not sure you realise what it would take to get into “your path” and access your password by either listening to the keystrokes you are doing or by deciphering the file where you password is stored.

But anyway, let’s say it is possible. Why bother if there is a user with admin access without a password ? Just get to that user and bam, party time. Whether you know if it is a european or an african swallow will be of no importance because there will be no one asking.

So I would not be too much worried about outside attacks in your case, unless you run a server with loose configurations. I would be much much more worried about what you could do to your own file system, in particular if you do not fully understand the need for a password and all the consequences if you disable it.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Well, I’m not sure you realise what it would take to get into “your path” and access your password by either listening to the keystrokes you are doing or by deciphering the file where you password is stored.
    create an app called "synaptic" add it to your local path and make it pop up a simple gtk dialog asking for an administrator password.
    But anyway, let’s say it is possible. Why bother if there is a user with admin access without a password ? Just get to that user and bam, party time. Whether you know if it is a european or an african swallow will be of no importance because there will be no one asking.
    sudo will still be asking for a password. I am asking about disabling PolicyKit passwords not sudo passwords, so to gain full control of the system (sudo access) you still need to know the administrator password and PolicyKit password prompts are the best way to get to it.
    So I would not be too much worried about outside attacks in your case, unless you run a server with loose configurations. I would be much much more worried about what you could do to your own file system, in particular if you do not fully understand the need for a password and all the consequences if you disable it.
    I think I understand the consequences of disabling the PolicyKit password prompts better than you.

Beans

lisati, I am not asking about disabling the root password, I am asking about disabling PolicyKit password prompts which only allow you to launch various graphical apps like "synaptic" or "Software Center".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

*cough*
    Ubuntu's root password is already disabled by default.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

lisati, I am not asking about disabling the root password, I am asking about disabling PolicyKit password prompts which only allow you to launch various graphical apps like "synaptic" or "Software Center".
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

PolicyKit works by specific groups, actions and effects I’m sure you already know that. Is this a test or what ?
    J'aime les fraises.