Thread: Unity top menu bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Unhappy Unity top menu bar

When I open an application, the window menu is halfway hidden under the Unity Top Menu Bar. I canz drag it down a bit and all is well, but having to drag the window constantly into position so I can access the menu gets old.

Anyone else having the same problem? this is new to me and 14.04 Trusty
    Last edited by mayagrafix; April 25th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity top menu bar

Maybe the problem is with Compiz. Can I turn it off? and if so, how do I turn it off? or is it necessary to de-install it?

The only reason I use CCSM is to have applications and windows open in the middle of the screen instead of to one side. Other than that, my Ubuntu DE is just as stock as it came out of the box.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Unity is a compiz plug-in so no Unity without compiz.. I would first try reseting unity or compiz.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

I found this article on how to reset Unity and Compiz
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro

Ran the script from the above post link (webupd8 article) in a terminal and it did the job, or most of it, well enough. The script seems to stall at some point, because after an hour it still gave me the message of terminating a running program when I closed the terminal window and no cursor was available in the command line.

It did, however, mange to reset all of the parameters in Unity and reset the whole thing back to factory specs. My application windows aren't overlapping the top menu bar any more so I’m happy :>)