Thread: How to? Expand or increase the ethernet ports?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

How to? Expand or increase the ethernet ports?

What device can increase the number of ethernet ports on a network, which consists of this device as the modem:

AT&T Motorola NGV-510. Technically this is a wifi modem router combo. It has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.

I have a Netgear WNDR3400v2 as an additional device. It has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.

Lastly, does an "unmanaged ethernet switch" provide an additional set of LAN ports, by plugging an ethernet cable from one of the NGV-510's LAN ports to one of the switches LAN ports?

I hope I have asked this question in an intelligent way. I have no idea of what I'm doing and can best say I have 4 LAN ports and need one more LAN port and want the simplest solution I can find.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to? Expand or increase the ethernet ports?

My system has a cable modem connected to a router which has 4 ethernet ports. Into two of the ports are plugged cables which connect to switches.
    There is a maximum of how many switches can be daisy-chained - I'd have to look up how many (I'm not near that, yet).
    Does this help - or further muddy the water?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net