Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia graphics drivers version 331.38

Beans

Unhappy Nvidia graphics drivers version 331.38

I'm running Lubuntu 14.04. I've tried installing Nvidia binary drivers for version 331.38(Proprietary, tested) and when I reboot my PC all text its super tiny like scribble and cannot be read. I don't understand what the problem is its like its zoomed out. Also I'm sorta new to Linux. Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Having problems installing Nvidia graphics drivers. :(

Did you install the 331.38 drivers from the "Additional Drivers" app, or from a nVidia download?

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Additional drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am replacing my post because as I was testing it out I discovered that there was some funny issues, with both computers I have. I don't want people to try that recommendation that I posted so I deleted it.

For my computers I discovered that fglrx-updates was installed on both despite the fact that I never installed that package. I had to open synaptic and look specifically for fglrx because "additional drivers" did not show that fglrx-updates was installed

On my mothers computer I never installed proprietary drivers ever.

On my computer I never installed fglrx-updates

both computers had fglrx-updates installed, both are fairly new installations of 13.10 that were installed fresh shortly before 14.04 came out. Both were updated to 14.04. It is not possible that I made a mistake on this.

So use a package manager like synaptic to check what versions of your graphics drivers are installed and make sure that only one version is installed. My first post here was misinformed, "additional drivers" showed open sourced drivers installed but actually fglrx-updates was.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; April 21st, 2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: previous was way wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Works fine here with nvidia331 but don't select nvidia-updates. I think that's broken and why for heaven's saken do we need two nvidia packages? About as silly as the Grub error in 14.04. Only select nvidia 331 and nvidia-settings nothing else, works for me.
    Last edited by MikeCyber; April 21st, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    Works fine here with nvidia331 but don't select nvidia-updates. I think that's broken and why for heaven's saken do we need two nvidia packages? About as silly as the Grub error in 14.04. Only select nvidia 331 and nvidia-settings nothing else, works for me.
    I am sure one is more stable and nvidia-updates is a more updated but less stable nvidia driver, it is like that with ati. The more updated ones were added because of pressure from the community I am sure, people back in the day hated having outdated drivers, not that they were that outdated mind you, and people criticized the drivers for not being newer.

Beans

Talking Re: Having problems installing Nvidia graphics drivers. :(

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishedangel View Post
    I am replacing my post because as I was testing it out I discovered that there was some funny issues, with both computers I have. I don't want people to try that recommendation that I posted so I deleted it.

For my computers I discovered that fglrx-updates was installed on both despite the fact that I never installed that package. I had to open synaptic and look specifically for fglrx because "additional drivers" did not show that fglrx-updates was installed

On my mothers computer I never installed proprietary drivers ever.

On my computer I never installed fglrx-updates

both computers had fglrx-updates installed, both are fairly new installations of 13.10 that were installed fresh shortly before 14.04 came out. Both were updated to 14.04. It is not possible that I made a mistake on this.

So use a package manager like synaptic to check what versions of your graphics drivers are installed and make sure that only one version is installed. My first post here was misinformed, "additional drivers" showed open sourced drivers installed but actually fglrx-updates was.

OMG, thank you so much! I've checked my version it says im running 331.38(proprietary, tested) under software and updates with no small text! Thank you so much!! Oh and one more thing I was looking at other desktop environments for Linux are they easy to change without installing a different version of Linux? Like from going to LXDE to Unity or Gnome or even Cinnamon?

Beans

Alternative desktop environments

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available

After installing it will appear on the login screen dropdown box

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ken30 View Post
    OMG, thank you so much! I've checked my version it says im running 331.38(proprietary, tested) under software and updates with no small text! Thank you so much!! Oh and one more thing I was looking at other desktop environments for Linux are they easy to change without installing a different version of Linux? Like from going to LXDE to Unity or Gnome or even Cinnamon?
    I prefer LXDE, but yes you can install a ton of others on just about any linux, you will not need a different linux but they will install their own programs, if you are running Lubuntu and want LXDE, type it in synaptic. Lubuntu and LXDE are different. All the desktops in the *buntu series come with their own set of applications, so since you started with lubuntu and if you decide to install gnome, you will have two media players. You will have mplayer (part of the Lubuntu desktop) and totem (part of the gnome desktop). If you install similar desktops environments then you will have less of this, xubuntu, Lubuntu, LXDE share many of the same default applications (ie xfburn).
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; April 21st, 2014 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Thanks guys . So I did some testing with that graphics driver. And I have horrible framerate on 2 games i played Minecraft and Left 4 dead 2 from steam, compared to just using the open source stock graphics driver. Am I missing something here? Isn't the Nvidia driver supposed to boost my performance?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast