Thread: Email filtering

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Email filtering

I currently have a hosting account at a serverhost that uses roundcube. I defined some filters to place emails in certain folders - but apparently they are only run when I open roundcube, as I can see my account unfiltered if I open from IMAP or SMTP.

Is there an external mail client or something that I can run on a separate server to filter the email into the correct folders?
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Email filtering

I use Thunderbird to do my filtering for me.

Not sure if you'd want to do a push/pull or something to the current mail server or just connect a client to it and pull the mail from there via imap.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I use Thunderbird to do my filtering for me.

Not sure if you'd want to do a push/pull or something to the current mail server or just connect a client to it and pull the mail from there via imap.
    I have too many random clients that I connect using - and I dont keep my computer on 24/7
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Install procmail on the server. Then you can place "recipes" into a .procmailrc file that will sort your mail automatically upon delivery. For instance, let's suppose you want anything with a subject that includes the word "Frozen" put in the "frozen" folder. In ~/.procmailrc, you'd create this recipe:
    Code:
    :0
    * ^Subject:.*frozen
    frozen
    Comparisons use extended regular expressions and are case-insensitive by default. Read "man procmailrc" and particularly "man procmailex" for details.

Sorting into folders is only one of many things you can do with procmail. For instance, I wrote a script to handle non-delivery notices for some listservers I host:
    Code:
    # filter nondelivery notices
    :0
    * ^To:.*owner-*
    * ^Subject:.*deliver|^Subject:.*failure|^Subject:.*returned|^Subject:.*ndn
    | /home/scanner/ndn-handler
    That pipes message to the non-delivery handler that are sent to "owner-something" and include one of the trigger keywords in the Subject line. You can also have procmail examine the entire body of a message as well.

Procmail has sometimes been called the "Swiss army knife" for mail administrators with good reason. It's installed by default on RedHat-flavored machines, but not on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 22nd, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users