Thread: Mint PPC11 or something better.

Beans

Mint PPC11 or something better.

I'm looking to revive a G4 iMac thats at the moment running Tiger.I thought of Mint PPC11 and tried to join the forum before I tried a download,but after 3 attempts and several weeks I'm still waiting for an email to let me in.Can anybody suggest another Linux based light OS that will do the trick with a minimum of problems setting up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mint PPC11 or something better.

Hello and welcome
    Moved to Apple Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Go to http://www.mintppc.org/content/insta...ons-mintppc-11 to install it. I will tell JD to check the forum if he missed you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Frenchman View Post
    I'm looking to revive a G4 iMac thats at the moment running Tiger.I thought of Mint PPC11 and tried to join the forum before I tried a download,but after 3 attempts and several weeks I'm still waiting for an email to let me in.Can anybody suggest another Linux based light OS that will do the trick with a minimum of problems setting up?
    TFman:

It can be a bit tricky to get linux running on the G4 . . . I still have Tiger running on my G4 iMac & iBooks . . . but I have them set up for dual-boot. It may be that JD can help you get mintppc running, but if not there you could try an install of 12.04 of some type here . . . there is a "Testers wanted for 12.04" thread that has extensive counseling to many of us on how to retro-install the nv driver . . . which so far has been the best driver for the G4 iMac. So far I haven't been able to get the 14.04 LiveDVD to boot into a clear GUI in my G4 iMac . . . so I'm still running 12.04 Xubuntu . . . also have LXDE DE as well . . . .

Someone else here also recommended the Debian flavor for their iMac . . . whatever runs best, but, having the ability to get to OSX is probably a good idea on an Apple . . . .

eep

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    TFman:

It can be a bit tricky to get linux running on the G4 . . . I still have Tiger running on my G4 iMac & iBooks . . . but I have them set up for dual-boot. It may be that JD can help you get mintppc running, but if not there you could try an install of 12.04 of some type here . . . there is a "Testers wanted for 12.04" thread that has extensive counseling to many of us on how to retro-install the nv driver . . . which so far has been the best driver for the G4 iMac. So far I haven't been able to get the 14.04 LiveDVD to boot into a clear GUI in my G4 iMac . . . so I'm still running 12.04 Xubuntu . . . also have LXDE DE as well . . . .

Someone else here also recommended the Debian flavor for their iMac . . . whatever runs best, but, having the ability to get to OSX is probably a good idea on an Apple . . . .

eep
    From all the info I've managed to find, the graphics card problems encountered seem to be more straightforwardly overcome with Debian Wheezy but.......time will tell,with a 1gb ram card and a new OS maybe the G4 will get another year or two of life

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Frenchman View Post
    From all the info I've managed to find, the graphics card problems encountered seem to be more straightforwardly overcome with Debian Wheezy but.......time will tell,with a 1gb ram card and a new OS maybe the G4 will get another year or two of life
    TFman:

Sure, I just recently upgraded the RAM on my computer, so it'll probably be OK for a few more years . . . and, there are many flavors of linux out there . . . so check them out. But, Debian is a little more for servers . . . Ubuntu is more user friendly . . . I'd be fine with running Xubun 12.04 on my iMac for the length of its life--if I can't get 14.04 on it that would be OK. Found this article online . . . seems to line it out about right.

https://www.udemy.com/blog/debian-vs-ubuntu/

Enjoy,

e.e.p.

Beans

Thanks an interesting read.I'm only going to use the G4 for internet access and playing music in the background,so for me as long as the distro is light(fast) and secure I'm not too fussy.But my skills would be challenged if I start getting loading problems I've read that others have encountered.