Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google Earth, no photos

Beans

Re: Google Earth, no photos

Hello 23dornot23d,

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I first went into synaptic and cleared everything out ..... my history is here including the odd hiccup
    [...]
    The strange thing is it only works from the command line ........ running it from the menu and it crashed out when in the program.
    Still something strange going on .......... may be a mistake I made or may be that this is not a straight forward simple install yet
    [...]
    as below ...... ( but I can only get it to work from the command line ) it will crash out from the menu selection.
    [...]
    The instructions are here but as it states - use at your own risk and only for experienced users ..........
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2F_...oxNVVlaUk/edit

In order to solve this problem (that it works only from the command line), try this:

Code:
    find /usr /home -name google-earth.desktop
    On Ubuntu it will most probably find the file /usr/share/applications/google-earth.desktop .

Edit the file it finds (sudo if this file is a system file).
    Change the Exec path to: /usr/bin/google-earth %f
    Save & exit.

(If you have more than one google-earth.desktop file and you are not sure which is being used - edit all of them.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have downloaded the file but where do I extract it to? I take it I can't just extract it into the downloads folder, but rather it must go beside the program itself, but I have no idea where this is.

Beans

It already has the in it ...... odd ..... not sure if there is another one yet but will have a look later on when I have more time ty

Exec=/opt/google/earth/free/google-earth %f

I have downloaded the file but where do I extract it to?
    I take it I can't just extract it into the downloads folder,
    but rather it must go beside the program itself,
    but I have no idea where this is.
    I think you might be referring to this part of the problem here

cd /opt/google/earth
    sudo cp -a free free.newlibs
    cd free.newlibs
    sudo cp ~/Downloads/ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz .
    sudo tar xvf ~/Download/ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz
    ls
    sudo tar xvf ~/Download/ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz

sudo tar xvf ge7.1.1.1580-0.x86_64-new-qt-libs-debian7-ubuntu12.tar.xz
    sudo mv /usr/bin/google-earth /usr/bin/google-earth.old
    sudo ln -s /opt/google/earth/free.newlibs/googleearth /usr/bin/google-earth

google-earth
    cd means to change directory ..........

So everywhere that it occurs - it is a change of directory .......... by executing the commands exaclty as above
    but not the lines in red ..... it may get you what you want ........ but as I said - its for experienced users and
    its not working as well as it could be as of yet - my own version is only running from the command line
    and it should run from the menu link ( which is set correctly as far as I can tell ) but will spend some more time
    on this later as I have to go out now .......

You may be better off waiting a while - until a proper fix is done for this .....
    ( There as to be an easier way - for most users to use ........... )

But there is enough information now to complete this task as they were the commands I ran to get it working
    nothing else - other than on the previous page post 18 at the bottom is a readme file.

The readme was added and I put that as a link at the end of post #18 in red ........... which was taken from
    the link posted by (Ann - Oldoser)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    I have downloaded the file but where do I extract it to? I take it I can't just extract it into the downloads folder, but rather it must go beside the program itself, but I have no idea where this is.
    Let's say you downloaded foo.tar.xz to Downloads, the idea is to extract it in /opt/google/earth/free and replace the files there with the same names

so you change directory to /opt/google/opt/free and extract
    Code:
    cd /opt/google/earth/free
    sudo tar xvf ~/Downloads/foo.tar.xz
    That's it. I am not making a duplicate and then symlink it. I think it was just for caution that the instructions were like that when they were first posted, but now we know the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, there is no need to back up /opt/google/earth/free

Edited: the patch might not have worked for you because you installed a 32 bit google-earth
    To install the 64-bit, first uninstall your version, then download 64 bit ge from google
    right click the .deb and click 'extract here" , then delete the origin .deb. Then open the extracted folder and go to Debian and edit the control file, remove ia32 from the "depends on"
    line and now rebuild the .deb as follows:
    Let's say the extracted folder is called google-earth-current-stable_amd64 and it is on your desktop,
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    dpkg -b  google-earth-current-stable_amd64
    Then install it by right clicking
    It will install but won't run, to run it you need some dependencies
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 lsb-core
    Last edited by oldos2er; January 30th, 2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post

I too can run it clean from my menu again ........ no crash this time - update = second run it crashed again

May have to delete the .googleearth every run ........ not good ......... but works after I run it from the terminal.

Then crashed again the second run from a menu choice ...... that is odd .

Will just stick to running it from the terminal for now .......
    Hmm.. strange. I have restarted ge several times and there has been no problem, always get the pictures.
    If you have to delete .googleearth every time for some reasons may be you can try this, open ge's .desktop file (in most likely /usr/share/applications) and change the "Exec=" line by pre-pending "rm -r /home/username/.googleearth && " without quotations, notice there is a space after && separating it from what follows. If this works as expected then when you click the .desktop file it would remove ~/.googleearth before it starts ge. But not sure if the syntax is correct.

Beans

Thanks for letting us know there were no problems from the menu monkeybrain20122

and all is working well from the menu now ......... cheers amirpli

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added a recap of events ..... to try to give people a clear method to use ......... will try again on my othe OS to check too

Beans

I have the same problem with no photo's in google earth.I tried this fix but the file I have to edit comes up as read only.? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raysrdsld View Post
    I have the same problem with no photo's in google earth.I tried this fix but the file I have to edit comes up as read only.? Any help would be appreciated.
    Which fix did you try? Which file did you try to edit? If you have successfully installed ge and you just want to see the pictures there is no need to edit any file. Please be more precise in describing your problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Let's say you downloaded foo.tar.xz to Downloads, the idea is to extract it in /opt/google/earth/free and replace the files there with the same names

so you change directory to /opt/google/opt/free and extract
    Code:
    cd /opt/google/earth/free
    sudo tar xvf ~/Downloads/foo.tar.xz
    That's it. I am not making a duplicate and then symlink it. I think it was just for caution that the instructions were like that when they were first posted, but now we know the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, there is no need to back up /opt/google/earth/free

Edited: the patch might not have worked for you because you installed a 32 bit google-earth
    To install the 64-bit, first uninstall your version, then download 64 bit ge from google
    right click the .deb and click 'extract here" , then delete the origin .deb. Then open the extracted folder and go to Debian and edit the control file, remove ia32 from the "depends on"
    line and now rebuild the .deb as follows:
    Let's say the extracted folder is called google-earth-current-stable_amd64 and it is on your desktop,
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    dpkg -b  google-earh-current-stable_amd64
    Then install it by right clicking
    It will install but won't run, to run it you need some dependencies
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 lsb-core
    i followed these instructions exactly, but when i run the command dpkg -b google-earh-current-stable_amd64, i get, ~/Downloads$ dpkg -b google-earh-current-stable_amd64
    dpkg-deb: error: failed to open package info file `google-earh-current-stable_amd64/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory

when i check the folder, the 'control' is there, but also now contains a file named '~control' with a recycle symbol on it(with feanza icon set anyway)

i don't know what else to do.
    Last edited by teklife; January 30th, 2015 at 09:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There's a typo in monkeybrain's post, the command should be
    Code:
    dpkg -b  google-earth-current-stable_amd64

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123