Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Beans
    Hidden!

14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before the installation options appear on an AMD APU system.
    I've installed 13.10 just fine without the above happening, and I've also re-downloaded the ISO 3 times in and checked for corruption, but there aren't any corruption.
    I couldn't wait for the final release, but it's been 3 days since the release and I'm still not on it due to this problem.
    Please help me out.

In the previous 12.04LTS, I've had the same problem with 12.04.2, 12.04.3, and 12.04.4, but not the 12.04.1 ISO.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Did you try boot options like nomodeset?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Hi. Couldn't even get to that part. I've attached a screenshot of the splash screen before it totally blanks out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

sounds like a graphic problem

can you able to switch tty? alt+ctrl+F1 to F6?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A low-tech solution is simply to stay with 13.10 for a few months more. It's supported through July this year.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Once it gets to the blank screen, nothing else can be done, and the monitor even goes to sleep - which usually happens when no more signal comes out from the display output. 13.10 is good until end of support, but do you guys think that a solution/fix will be available by then? Where else can I get support for this?

Beans

Hi guys, this is just a thought that may help diagnose. I'm having a similar issue; I'm new to Linux and trying Lubuntu 14.04 on an old machine (installed on a USB flash drive to "test drive" first) that has a PCI graphics card (Geforce 5500 FX) installed.

Newbie4, is the machine you are using have a separate graphics card installed in either a PCI or AGP slot? I've done some internet searches and found that there may be an issue with installing/using Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu on a machine using a non-integrated video card...same thing; black screen after the splash/bootloader.

Sad to say I don't have any answer to that, but maybe someone here does. A thought I have is to disable the PCI slot in the BIOS, use the integrated graphics to get the o/s to install, then install drivers for the PCI card, reboot to BIOS and reactivate the PCI slot and see if that works.

If that's not the case, please forgive my interruption.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newbie4 View Post
    do you guys think that a solution/fix will be available by then? Where else can I get support for this?
    The best you can do is search Launchpad and see if a bug report (possibly with workaround) has been posted there. If not then please do.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for your reply bluezcruizer, yes I have tried that but didn't work. And morgaes, I've tried Launchpad, but nothing has been posted regarding AMD APU's. And my huge excitement turned into little disappointment. But I guess all I can do from here is wait for 14.04 to come up with an update that will fix this and similar problems...
    Last edited by newbie4; April 25th, 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Everyone. At this point, I really want 14.04 so I went ahead and did an upgrade installation from within 13.10 (using software updater) instead. It took longer and definitely looked like it was patching and downloading things, but it worked. I now have the new 14.10, but I still wish I can do a clean install of it, but I guess this will do for now since Linux is fast anyway and unlike windows, I can't tell the difference between an upgrade or a clean install. (I remember upgrading Windows to a newer version caused some issues with drivers and what not, and the patched up old os appeared slow.)
    Last edited by newbie4; April 25th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast