Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

It should work in a clean install too. Would be great if you could open a bug report.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Hi Morgaes. The software updater did not have a clean install option. The problem still remains to be from the install dvd/usb - as described in my initial post. How do I open a bug report for this?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey Morgaes. Since my other posts didn't get any response or fix either, I think I'll just leave all of these alone. It also seems complicated to report a bug with launchpad and/or posting in forums, while it's also very time consuming.
    I know we're all spoiled here for getting a free OS, but sometimes it's starting to seem like paying for a complete product isn't so bad... Sigh...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

I'm not going to give you my normal explanation, but I'll give you the "Readers Digest Version"

OEMs write drivers for their hardware, not purveyors of OSes. Microsoft doesn't write drivers for ATI hardware. AMD/ATI does. The Linux community doesn't write drivers for hardware (except when they can see deep enough into the hardware to fudge an open source one that may or may not work well.) AMD/ATI writes Linux drivers. OEMs jump through hoops to make sure that their drivers are included in the Microsoft Driverbase (not drivers written by Microsoft) because if they don't they miss out on 93% of the consumer market. Does it surprise you that they don't do the same for the 2% of the market represented by Linux?

Windows doesn't do a better job of working with your hardware. The OEMs do a better job of making sure their hardware works with Windows.

In the end, it is the case that some things work better with Windows -- but not because Microsoft lifts a finger or because the Linux community doesn't.

So going back to Windows isn't going to a product that offers better support. It's going to a product for which AMD/ATI offers better support.

In any case, if Windows works better for you, by all means use it. Don't be silly and keep trying to use something that is not working for you. But don't go away thinking that Linux is at fault.

Use Windows as your primary OS. Dual boot Ubuntu and see if you can get it working. We'll still be here to help. There's absolutely no harm in that and you might not be throwing things and beating your fists on your desk. (Not that I EVER do anything like that, you understand!)

Life's too short to be grumpy all of the time!

(Oh! Gasp! A Moderator suggested using Windows! For shame!)

Beans
    Distro

If you don't want to report bugs I suggest that you just carry on with 13.10.

For the unanswered threads: They were posted in a forum with not much activity. If you want to give it a shot again you are welcome to try in Absolute Beginners or General Help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: 14.04LTS boots to splash screen only, then blanks out before options - AMD APU

Quote Originally Posted by newbie4 View Post
    Thank you for your reply bluezcruizer, yes I have tried that but didn't work. And morgaes, I've tried Launchpad, but nothing has been posted regarding AMD APU's. And my huge excitement turned into little disappointment. But I guess all I can do from here is wait for 14.04 to come up with an update that will fix this and similar problems...
    My CPU & mobo: ECS A75F2-A2 (1.0) SOCKET FM2 MOTHERBOARD, Amd A-Series APU A6-6400K BLK EDT 4100Mhz FM2 65W,

I had a similar problem with 14.04. It would get to the ubuntu logo with the dots and sit there forever. I hit F7 to switch to verbose mode and there were all kinds of I/O errors, errors stating my disks could not be mounted, etc. I tried with a DVD and a USB. Same thing. The hashes match exactly from the iso.

I tried unetbootin and startup disk creator from ubuntu to make a bootable usb. same results always. I tried rufus and yumi to make the bootable usb from windows. Again same results.

I tried brasero and k3b in ubuntu to burn the DVD and tried infrarecorder from windows-again same results.

I then made a bootable usb of other iso such as arch, ubuntu 12.04, ubuntu 13.10, mint 13. all worked fine. So I am assuming it is the new ubuntu iso which is causing the issues. I will stick with 12.04 until it is fixed. I never, never do in place upgrades. If I can't do a clean install I will just wait.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Hidden!

Qlll, I appreciate your response. It's hard to express things over forums sometimes, and easy to be perceived as something else. (i.e. I thought the little sigh with the sad face was cute, so I put it on sorta' like joking and was never grumpy or even close to it. Maybe should have used this one )

I was simply referring to the fact that I have three other threads that have remained unanswered for a few days now, and this particular one we're on appears to not have a resolution other than workarounds like someone have suggested to go back to 13.10.
    (That's kinda' like having car problems and a mechanic telling you to just use your older working car)
    Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate the Linux community! I guess just had a different expectation from support since I'd never had to ask for support before.

Anyway, I'm completely aware and understand/have understood everything you've explained even before. In my personal experience, AMD/ATI provides great updates, compatibility and long-term support for Linux than other hardware I've used. The issue stated in this thread was more of a 14.04 to AMD compatibility issue, which is why after the workarounds I've discovered on my own (upgrading through software update instead of clean install, then installing AMD's proprietary drivers), things worked.
    Previous Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 worked flawlessly for me before, which lead me to months of anticipation for 14.04, hence was just a little disappointed with the 14.04 setbacks.

And Morgaes, although I have a feeling it's all going to end up needing to be reported as a bug, I'll re-post my questions somewhere in General Help as you've suggested.
    Last edited by newbie4; April 29th, 2014 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newbie4 View Post
    I'll re-post my questions somewhere in General Help as you've suggested.
    No thanks, please don't double-post (maybe I was unclear in the post above). Just send me a PM telling which threads you want moved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12