Thread: Log out,suspend,hibernate and Shutdown problems!

Beans

Log out,suspend,hibernate and Shutdown problems!

Happy Easter to everybody!

I've been using mint 15 cinnamon for a few months on a win7 dual-boot desktop and now when 14.04 lts came out i wanted to try it.I already tried ubuntu 12.04,so i already knew how unity,dash or whatever the name is works.Unity lacks customization options so the only option for me was to install xfce desktop,it's easier to get used to it,at least for me as a windows user.

First problem i have was present with both ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 and so was present in linux mint 15,every time i press suspend or hibernate my computer can't wake up.i watched some threads and have tried to find solutions,but this problem unfortunately still exists.I really don't know how to fix this,but this is the main reason keeping me from using Ubuntu as only OS on my desktop.

Second problem is,after i installed xfce desktop on ubuntu 12.04 and now on new 14.04 when i try to shutdown i get a message "session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown",don't know about other log out options cause i haven't tested them yet.Really can't remember about other log out options in ubuntu 12.04 because i was only using it for a few days.

I've been using ubuntu and mint because i wanted to see the difference between MS Windows,i wanted to know how Linux works,and i like this open source idea in general.It is really great to have basic apps preinstalled on your pc,that is the way microsoft should follow too,but unfortunately i don't think this will ever happen.

Linux is a very good alternative,but it lacks support from hardware manufacturers and it also has a billion distros available which i think isn't a good thing.It would be so much better to have few distros available,it would be much easier for Linux programmers to fix things and develop software,but it is only my opinion.Tbh it is much easier to work in MS Windows,but that is maybe because i am using them for more than ten years.I am not a fan of Windows or Ubuntu,i really don't care about any as long as they deliver a good product.I want to learn Linux,but am scared i'll mess it up if i use terminal too often(did encounter strange things after installing and uninstalling some stuff from terminal).

So basically now i use only software center for installing and removing apps,sometimes using a terminal,but i don't touch anything that could be system related.So please if anyone could help,i would really appreciate it!Sorry if i was boring,but i wanted to express my opinion with you!

I forgot to mention,i've had mint as the only os installed,and even with swap enabled(2gb as my ram) i've had the same issues with suspend and hibernate,so this could be motherboard issue?
    Last edited by Tommy21; April 21st, 2014 at 12:43 PM.