Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14.04 - capture LP's to disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 14.04 - capture LP's to disk?

You could of course search for a digital version of the music on the net - providing you do not infringe any copyright. It is debateable whether you hold a license-to-use copyright in perpetuity once you have bough one version of a music piece, like a vynil copy, personally, I think you do.
    Last edited by Clockmender; April 21st, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
    All men are created equal - some more equal than others!
    Music Studio Setup (Just to help you!)

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought seriously about that, and then I thought "why not just do them the hard way and get a kick out of listening to the old vinyl and the sound".

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Clockmender View Post
    You could of course search for a digital version of the music on the net - providing you do not infringe any copyright. It is debateable whether you hold a license-to-use copyright in perpetuity once you have bough one version of a music piece, like a vynil copy, personally, I think you do.
    The head of litigation for Sony BMG would beg to disagree.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1. I believe you only own the media, not any right to get the music again by other means. Some of the copyright information even suggests that it is somewhat like an OS - you are only "leasing" it as obviously you don't own the actual music.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You've purchased a license to use the music under terms specified by the rights holder. You don't "own" the music in any way. If you don't like the terms under which the license is granted, your only legal option is not to buy the music in the first place. As you say, software basically operates within the same set of rules.

The situation is more complex, some might say perverse, when it comes to products with copy protection. Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, circumvention of copy protection schemes is a felony. The Copyright Office conducts proceedings to determine whether some types of circumvention may constitute "fair use" and thus be exempted from the DMCA's provisions. Copying of DVDs for personal use was proposed for such an exemption, but the request was rejected by the Office.
    The Register [of Copyrights] further observed that the law does not guarantee access to copyrighted material in a user’s preferred format or technique. Indeed, copyright owners typically have the legal authority to decide whether and how to exploit new formats.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 22nd, 2014 at 02:51 AM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Hmmmm that stirred the hornet's nest! I did qualify my remark with the words " providing you do not infringe any copyright" so my point is valid. It may be cheaper to get what you want in digital format from a ligitimate source, such as iTumes, etc or simply search something like Spotify, make yourself a playlist and listen to them whenever you want to. Spotify is free if you don't mind adverts now and then or very low priced per month if you want just music. (I don't have any commercial interest in them by the way). If we are to believe Sony's lawyers, presumably any digital copying of your vynil records is illegal and presumably this dates back to the early days of tape recorders as well? So, sorry Squakie you cannot play your records into a PC and save them in digital format without Mr Sony, et al coming after your ass! We should have discouraged you from such activity in the first place, not told you how to do it. I shall now delete all digital copies of music made from my vynil.

PS. Who amongst you thought I was referring to illegal peer-to-peer sites? tut tut tut...
    Last edited by Clockmender; April 23rd, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it best if we stick to answering the OP's question and not delve too deep down the slippery slope of copyright law's and all manner of DRM related complications.

edit - Also moved to Cafe as this is not an Ubuntu support question.
    Last edited by not found; April 23rd, 2014 at 10:44 AM.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A decent turntable/cassete deck/cd player (all in one unit) like this one below I just seen on ebay (although i've seen ones that looked exactly like this model with a USB port on the right hand side) would work fine to record audio from the LP's and then from there edit to your heart's content in Audacity. Heck, even if it's just recording the audio output from those LP's and saving to FLAC so that you'd have a digital copy to put on burnable discs and or copy to USB flash drives it'd be worth it as those vinyl record's won't last forever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Thomas...-/310939748621
    Last edited by Gilad_Pellaeon; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:59 PM.
    "Ah, for the days when a commanding officer could dump a useless minion out the airlock without having to worry about filling in forms..." ―Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I bought a USB turntable from EBay for about that same price. Should be here later in the week. Like all the other stuff I did for the media centers this is going to be another big learning experience. I don't even begin to understand a lot of the options I saw in Audacity. So, I guess it will be scan a few in and just play with stuff to see what it does.

At any rate, I think my original question has been answered, and with that in mind I'm going to mark the thread as solved,

Thanks everyone!

Beans
    Distro

Last thought Squakie, then I will shut up (he said to huge sighs of relief):

1) Install Time Machine - ("sudo apt-get install timemachine" in a terminal or use Synaptic).
    2) Connect it to you playback ports in whichever Jack Control client you use.
    3) Click the big green icon on Time Machine and play the record on your shiny new turntable.
    4) Click the now big red icon to stop recording.
    5) This will create a .w64 extension file in your Music directory.
    6) Open this file in Audacity and select the bit containing the track - there may be a little intro and outro to cut off Do this by holding you mouse at the start of the track and dragging it to the end of the track, i.e. select the bit where you see peaks in the track. then let go of the mouse key.
    7) Click File - Export Selection make sure the option pulldown is set to mp3 files and give it a name.

This is the easiest way to record sound on Linux and make it into an mp3 file, in my humble opinion. Time machine always starts to record from 10 seconds before you press the icon BTW. Audacious will play .w64 files if you don't want to export them as .mp3's.
    Last edited by Clockmender; April 24th, 2014 at 09:20 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast