Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14.04 - capture LP's to disk?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

14.04 - capture LP's to disk?

I'm an old guy, so I have many vinyl LP's from the 60's, 70's. I have a Dazzle DVC-100 USB analog capture device that I have used to capture my old VHS tapes to disk. That got me thinking about this stack of vinyl - is there a way to take either the output from an old (70's) turntable and/or output from a receiver (70's) using that turntable to connect the outputs to the analog RCA sound jacks on the DVD-100 so I can capture to disk? If so, does something like Audacity work for that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 14.04 - capture LP's to disk?

Yeah, Audacity works quite well for that.
    Just make sure the input settings are right in the Edit>Preferences.

Not vinyl, but I transfered some ole tapes to a hard drive some time ago with Audacity.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great! Time to set it up and give it a go - hopefully tomorrow sometime after family has left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Keep in mind that to connect a vinyl player to anything you need a pre-amp. (and some decent place to ground the vinyl player to). Even though vinyl players use RCA connections the signal is not at line level, and even simply amplifying it up will not give you correct levels so a pre-amp specifically made for use with vinyl players in needed.

Since the Dazzle DVC-100 is made for video capture it's unlikely that it would have a phono pre-amp included. If you have a separate amplifier with phono inputs and line outputs then that should of course do the trick.

(What comes to software, I agree with deadflowr, Audacity does pretty good job and even has some tools you can use for dust/scratch removal etc. if you want)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with the poster above, however, may I suggest loading Calf Plugins and using the Stereo Tools plugin connected through Jack - you will need a Jack configure programme like QjackCtl, Patchage, Gladish or Claudia if you really want the best, to increase the signal before you put it into Audacity. You can up the volumes in Audacity as well. This is how I have got my vynil onto disk, using an old Panasonic turntable connected to the audio input ports of my on-board sound card or my E-MU 0404 card normally used for midi, low latency audio, etc. The other alternative is to process the sound in something like Guitarix before you record it, use an appropriate amp setting or route the player through your normal amp and record off the speaker ports, taking care not to over-amplify. Having said all that Calf Stereo tools on its own works for me and if you want the tone sorting - pipe the audio through Calf 12 Band Equalizer bedore you put it into Audacity.
    Last edited by Clockmender; April 20th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    All men are created equal - some more equal than others!
    Music Studio Setup (Just to help you!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Clockmender View Post
    I agree with the poster above, however, may I suggest loading Calf Plugins and using the Stereo Tools plugin connected through Jack - you will need a Jack configure programme like QjackCtl, Patchage, Gladish or Claudia if you really want the best, to increase the signal before you put it into Audacity. You can up the volumes in Audacity as well. This is how I have got my vynil onto disk, using an old Panasonic turntable connected to the audio input ports of my on-board sound card or my E-MU 0404 card normally used for midi, low latency audio, etc. The other alternative is to process the sound in something like Guitarix before you record it, use an appropriate amp setting or route the player through your normal amp and record off the speaker ports, taking care not to over-amplify. Having said all that Calf Stereo tools on its own works for me and if you want the tone sorting - pipe the audio through Calf 12 Band Equalizer bedore you put it into Audacity.
    The problem with that setup is that converting from phono input to line level signal is not just a question of amplifying the signal, vinyls use RIAA eqialization to boost high frequencies and reduce low frequencies (to avoid various sound issues created by dust, scratches, and variations in turtnable RPM etc). A phono preamp will in addition to amplifying the signal apply correct equalization to get the original levels back.

In theory you can of course use a a decent parametric EQ to try and match the RIAA EQ but getting the correct levels manually would quite likely be difficult. And knowing you can get an actual phono preamp for less than $20 I'd definitely recommend just buying one...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recently used a cheap Shenle "USB powered vinyl archiving turntable". It has preamp and a nice and easy to use USB connection (P&P). The results? Well, IMO not bad (not good either). You can check for yourself: https://mega.co.nz/#!EBkTESSC!tB6gm5...zoyBYDo1I5y_PQ (warning: ~100MB file). It's some Belorussian "folk-inspired" symphonic and choir music released in USSR in 1968, the software used was the aforementioned Audacity and no other post-processing added.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Didn't think of the preamp. May take a look on line for schematics that balance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My turntable was essentially broken, so I bought a new one with a preamp built-in. Mine uses RCA jacks, but there is also a USB version.

It works well, but I've found the process of dubbing the records into Audacity and filtering the result pretty time-consuming.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I looked at different schematics for preamps, and after realizing my new laptop has microphone in but no stereo line in I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth my effort. So instead I just ordered a cheap POS USB turntable so I can just get the music captured.

I know that feeling of how time consuming it is - after getting all my DVD's scanned to disk for a media center, I then moved on to capturing all the old VHS tapes. That was a REAL time killer. You don't know exactly when it's going to end, so you have to keep track of it so you can stop the capture. It's a real snoozer having to wait the actual time instead of the fast processing Handbrake does with a digital media. I know the LP's are going to be the same, and I imagine I'm going to have to separate each track out, then set things up for XBMC so I can add them to the media center where I put the MP3 from my CD's.

Personally, I'm going to be glad when this is all over My niece's husband suggested I place an add in the local ad sheet to get paid for doing that for others - I had to laugh!

Well, thanks everyone! When the cheapy turntable gets here and I give it a try I'll let you know if I find it even worth doing or not. I've lived without having the old stereo and turntable running for several years now - I just thought it would be great if I can get all that old music loaded off the LPs (and bring back some "hazy" memories - Inagodadivida [sp?], Focus, et al).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast