Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFI: Ubuntu doesn't boot after clean install. Boot-repair-disk doesn't boot.

Beans

Unhappy UEFI: Ubuntu doesn't boot after clean install. Boot-repair-disk doesn't boot.

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu on a new Win 8.1 laptop (Satellite E55-A5114). The installation process completes flawlessly, but the restart immediately following the installation results in this screen:

I have attempted this installation multiple times with both 14.04 and 13.10 with the exact same result.

My inadequate sleuthing skills led me to believe that there is a problem with GRUB, as this error message appears to have been produced due to an inability to reach GRUB. For this reason, I followed the general google suggestions and downloaded boot-repair-disk and put it on another flash drive. However, that simply boots to a blank, black screen.

Please help me. I don't want to use Windows on this computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot after clean install. Boot-repair-disk doesn't boot.

Did you disable "secure boot" in the bios? Most newer laptops have issues with unsigned (Non-Windows OS's).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Hopefully this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shadytv View Post
    Did you disable "secure boot" in the bios? Most newer laptops have issues with unsigned (Non-Windows OS's).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Hopefully this helps.
    Yes

Beans

Bump

Beans

how many hard drives do you have?

When you go through the install are you removing the previous os's or is this a dual boot?
    Does the install ask you to restart the pc?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tripp98 View Post
    how many hard drives do you have?

When you go through the install are you removing the previous os's or is this a dual boot?
    Does the install ask you to restart the pc?
    1 hard drive
    The drive is formatted by the installer before installation (erase all previous OS)
    Yes, it prompts for a restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: UEFI: Ubuntu doesn't boot after clean install. Boot-repair-disk doesn't boot.

Error message may be from UEFI/BIOS.
    Did you install in UEFI or BIOS mode, and then are you booting in the same mode.
    If secure boot is on, only systems installed in secure boot mode will be available to boot.

And if you only have Ubuntu, you will not get a grub menu by default.
    With BIOS you have to hold shift key from BIOS until menu appears, but with UEFI it may be escape key.

And then it may be a video issue.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: UEFI: Ubuntu doesn't boot after clean install. Boot-repair-disk doesn't boot.

As oldfred stated, it could be due to UEFI/Legacy boot settings. Was it installed while the setting was UEFI or BIOS mode? Have you changed this since then? Have you tried running your installation CD as live boot and running boot repair from within that session? Any information you can give would help, please and thank you.

Beans

If you have only Ubuntu I would just turn of uefi and do everything in bios. It makes life a lot simpler.

Beans

I don't believe my computer supports booting from BIOS/Legacy Mode. Nevertheless, it is installed in UEFI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast