Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question and Request to Spread the Word about Bestbuy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Question and Request to Spread the Word about Bestbuy

If you take the time to make the 5 or so restore discs on windows BEFORE wiping it out and replacing with ubuntu, then by running those discs, an identical image will be restored to the computer as you received it from the store, crapware and all...the geek squad in Best Buy would have no way of knowing that anything had ever been altered or changed...That is what i did and that is why i had absolutely no problems returning it and getting a refund...they got back EXACTLY what was given to me in the first place...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know why they check for Windows. I would hope they re-image the disk before they resell it. They don't know what may have been installed while you had it.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I don't know why they check for Windows. I would hope they re-image the disk before they resell it. They don't know what may have been installed while you had it.
    Yeah but who's to say they might resell it? They may just throw it in the back to be thrown on a pallet with other computer's and shipped back as defective.
    "Ah, for the days when a commanding officer could dump a useless minion out the airlock without having to worry about filling in forms..." ―Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilad_Pellaeon View Post
    Yeah but who's to say they might resell it? They may just throw it in the back to be thrown on a pallet with other computer's and shipped back as defective.
    I would assume they refurbish and repackage. A lot of stores including Best Buy and Fry's sell refurbished and repackaged computers.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 23rd, 2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    They probably reimage it from the restore partition, which you may or may not wipe when you install linux.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!

I know that it is not just Best Buy that wants Windows intact for a return or warranty repair. Why, I don't know. What they do with returned computers is off-topic for this thread and speculation on my part at least. It is time for me to try to stay on-topic.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Actually, you'd be surprised at how many devices do NOT get reset upon return. There have been many instances of this in the past.

However, I think everyone is agreeing with my original reply:

- when you get a new PC, IMMEDIATELY follow the manufacturers process for creating restore disks. If you have those, you normally don't have to worry about partitions, etc., since you can use these disks when you replace a hard drive. The entire point is to restore it to how it was delivered via those disks prior to attempting a return.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    If you take the time to make the 5 or so restore discs on windows BEFORE wiping it out and replacing with ubuntu, then by running those discs, an identical image will be restored to the computer as you received it from the store, crapware and all...the geek squad in Best Buy would have no way of knowing that anything had ever been altered or changed...That is what i did and that is why i had absolutely no problems returning it and getting a refund...they got back EXACTLY what was given to me in the first place...
    But will doing a system restore actually restore the partitions, too? Or will it just reinstall everything on the main partition that you have available?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It wipes the disc clean and restores windows and it's original partitions just as it came when you opened the box originally...but the key point is making the discs....if you had to send it in to say toshiba (assuming that was the brand you bought) for service, you'd want to do it then too...don't think they would like receiving a computer for service with ubuntu installed on it...so the discs are a MUST...I have mine for the Toshiba 17" laptop i am typing on right now...and all i have on here is ubuntu 14.04...

Of course, if your hard drive went out...you wouldn't have to worry about it
    Last edited by craig10x; April 24th, 2014 at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Have you ever taken a USB drive to Best Buy and asked to try a live Linuux on a pc before you bought it to make sure it worked? I did. After telling the sale person to get a tech they final let me try it. Before long I had a crowd gathered around and ended up giving a demo of Ubuntu. Got a lot of questions like, "where can I get a USB like that?" After answering the questions, I then showed them how to run it off the USB in a VirtualBox or VM. Told them to down load a program in Windows, "LiLi USB Creator" and it would setup the VirtualBox for them. Here are the screen shots.
    Attachment 252293 Attachment 252294
    You insurgent You.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast