Thread: 14.04: Apache, Postfix, Dovecot, and OpenSSL

Beans

14.04: Apache, Postfix, Dovecot, and OpenSSL

Hello,

I want to add Apache, postfix, dovecot, and openssl to my new installation. The last few versions of Ubuntu, I have had a lot of trouble doing this, with lots of false starts and confusion, more than I used to get. I attribute this at least in part to the fact that all the help pages I have found around the web are a version or two out of date, and I always miss some subtlety.

Apache hasn't been much of a problem, I always get it going with virtual hosts eventually. The messages in the logfiles always help a lot, and I found the new documentation referenced in the 14.04 release nots. Postfix has always been the big problem, and I don't see anything in the release notes about it.

If anyone has any wisdom to share before I get going with this, I would appreciate it. What I want is pretty vanilla; I want to serve my own mail and web pages, with some security. I'm not trying to relay anything or use MySQL with postfix or anything like that.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 14.04: Apache, Postfix, Dovecot, and OpenSSL

While this isn't really what you want, it might help a bit.
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...domain-part-1/
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thanks, that's a good article, and apparently quite up-to-date. I'm not ready to mark the thread SOLVED yet, but it was helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been running Nginx instead of Apache for a long time now. The memory footprint is smaller and it seems to be more efficient (imo).

The above article uses nginx and php-fpm, but you can replace that with apache and mod-php5 if you so desire.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thanks, I'm going to stick with Apache for now simply because it is pretty easy to get help when something breaks. I'm ashamed of myself, I sound like someone desperately clinging to Microsoft, but Apache has been a pretty cool project for a long time now.

Postfix and dovecot seem to be working fine, except for getting my own server up. i just have to get it to recognize my own domain.

Thanks.