Thread: Gnome Classic panels lost on upgade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Gnome Classic panels lost on upgade

Hello,

Upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 and my Gnome panels disappeared. I was running Gnome Classic with MetaCity with both panels docked at the bottom of the screen. I can get Gnome with Compiz working but it places the Unity menu bar on the left side of the screen and there's only 1 workspace. What got left out during the upgrade that I need to reinstall? I really don't want to have to downgrade to 13.10, but I like the clean, simple UI that Gnome Classic has.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Beans

Re: Gnome Classic panels lost on upgade

I think by default its set to one workspace.

You should be able to go into

Compiz Config Settings Manager and under the

General Options go in and change

the number of Workspaces ......... is currently 1 horizontal ......... this just needs changing to 4

There may be other ways ....... but I am sure it depends on which desktop you are in as to how it works.

Update ..........

This does not work ......... its not keeping the information after changing in Compiz Config Settings Manager ..........

So its no longer a Manager .......... something else is .......... ?

Was discussed in this thread in the development cycle .... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214320
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 20th, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'll check the thread. However, the main point is I want the Gnome Classic panels to work, not the Unity panel, which means running MetaCity if I recall correctly. Also, TweakTools seems to have lost about 1/2 of its capabilities?

Jon.

Beans

Yep from the thread I posted - I think this explains it ..... each time ccsm is opened it resets back to 1 desktop .........

This is just post #9 from it ....... but that is where they start to discuss it in the previous thread I posted about it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12974709