Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

I'm another for whom Compiz is a prime reason for using any Linux distro. Right now I have two installations of 14.04: one is pure Xubuntu, the other installed as Ubuntu+xubuntu-desktop. Both run the Cube/Sphere/Cylinder just fine (as long as I don't use raised windows) and the Skydome also is fine. I think the problems arise because although Unity requires Compiz, it uses it differently than the stuff we like. With Xfce/Xubuntu, the Unity part is shut off. BTW, I don't install Emerald - could that be part of the problem?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

Please voice your issue with the bug report here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1330080
    I've got the same problem as described,
    and I think we'll need a larger list of people affected before this gains more attention.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by roxfoxpox View Post
    Please voice your issue with the bug report here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1330080
    I've got the same problem as described,
    and I think we'll need a larger list of people affected before this gains more attention.
    Are you aware that plugins you install from the compiz-plugins package
    are not officially supported?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

These are not bugs and they are not caused by Unity.

They are features that have been turned off because the Compiz developers simply are too few and have too little time to continue to develop the features along with changes in newer distributions.

Again: Don't blame the wrong people. If you want those features back, volunteer to maintain them. The Compiz developers (I think there are two left) were begging for help three or four years ago. Too late now, probably.
    Last edited by QIII; June 21st, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just started going through some compiz files and I found in /usr/share/doc/compiz-plugins/authors.gz a file with 129 authors. are these the authors of the plugins?

Should I email them directly to ask for help or is that rude?

Has anyone gotten cubegears to work?
    Last edited by theller; July 11th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I uninstalled tweak tool and it looks much better. I still think the lack of the effects settings is a key in this because you used to be able to turn the effect settings to high to make all this work. If you have tweak tool installed remove it and let me know if things display better. I am still fooling around with it.

Thanks, Yours
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok so they work and look better but I don't think 3d rendering is working properly (or whatever). They show and look ok but not !!! wow !!! which is how they used to look. I am sure it is a tweak in the settings somewhere but getting rid of tweak tool made them look at least 50% better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fattyz; August 9th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans

Just as a side note, I don't think it's only Unity. I'm having the same problem with Gnome, and it's always worked beautifully before.

Maybe it's related to upgrading instead of fresh install? Sometime in the coming month I'm going to be reinstalling 14.04 LTS from scratch and trying, and I'll definitely post the results when I do get to do it. Just not sure exactly when that will be since time is in such short supply for me.

And on a personal note, with all the standards and conventions out there, you'd think that all desktop managers would be written to use the plugins in the same way...or at least if one is going to do something custom with it, then start another branch or "flavor" of the plugins that they build from. Just a thought. )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fattyz View Post
    Ok so they work and look better but I don't think 3d rendering is working properly (or whatever). They show and look ok but not !!! wow !!! which is how they used to look. I am sure it is a tweak in the settings somewhere but getting rid of tweak tool made them look at least 50% better.
    For me that worked:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

which resets compiz settings (maybe they were messed up during distro update vom 12.04). So it is probably not a bug...

@fattyz: how did you get the cube more far away in the screen, mine is so damn big! And how did you set that background behind the cube, I have never seen that before ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12