Thread: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

Beans

Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

Hello

I have dual boot running Ubuntu 13.10 and Lubuntu 13.10. I'm using a AMD APU A4-5300 (Radeon HD 7480D) with fglrx-updates for the video driver on both. I'm worried about the update breaking something. too many times in the past have i updated only to regret not waiting. Now what i want to know how is 14.04 with amd's apu. can i expect improved gaming performance or about the same right now?. I would hate to update only to find i need to do a clean install of 13.10.
    Last edited by thatlordbaal; April 20th, 2014 at 02:54 AM.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

I would wait for a month or so. So far it's been rather bug free.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The early bird gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.
    I'll wait for the cheese.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Agreed!

I have been running 14.04 as virtual machines for several weeks now in VirtualBox without any real show-stoppers recently, but there are nearly always minor glitches in the first month or two. OK you may be able to solve them easily, but as an apparent new user, certainly a new forum user, you may find it easier to wait for the first bugs to be squashed, then do a clean install, which I would always recommend over an upgrade, but that's just me; upgrades seem to produce a huge number of forum threads where things have gone wrong.

Beans

The early bird gets the bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

If it were me I would upgrade or even better save all important data and do a fresh install. I have had it installed almost 2 month now and never had to do a fresh install which is rare in a development release. I must say trusty has been one of the most stable releases I have tested. If you are unsure though hang back a few weeks until any reported bugs have been ironed out
    The mind is the greatest weapon only the strong will prosper.

Beans

I upgraded. It will not boot to kernel 3.13.0-24. I have to boot to 3.11.0-19 instead. I'd wait.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by alias5 View Post
    I upgraded. It will not boot to kernel 3.13.0-24. I have to boot to 3.11.0-19 instead. I'd wait.
    I have the same problem with an old laptop of mine, Acer Travelmate 2200, celeron cpu 2.66GHz, only 512MB ram, and ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP graphics.

It simply would not boot any of the 14.04 family of *ubuntu OSs but worked fine with 13.10, so I installed Lubuntu 13.10 and then immediately upgraded to 14.04 using the Alternate Install CD which I had tried to use as an alternative to the live CD. Upon reboot it would still not boot to the new kernel so I was forced to reboot, hold Shift to get the grub menu, and from that choose the 3.11.0-# kernel, and finally remove the 3.13.0-# kernel version entirely.

I also tried the 3.14.0 kernel but that is no better than the 3.13.0. I have no idea why these new kernels will not work, but at least I am now happy with Lubuntu 14.04 running beautifully on this old machine.

Is it the cpu, the graphic chip, the m/board, or what that causes the difficulty? I have no idea!

Beans

thank you everyone. I think I'll wait until May/June to upgrade. as they say "if it ant broke dont fix it."