Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Beans
    2

    Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    Hello

    I have dual boot running Ubuntu 13.10 and Lubuntu 13.10. I'm using a AMD APU A4-5300 (Radeon HD 7480D) with fglrx-updates for the video driver on both. I'm worried about the update breaking something. too many times in the past have i updated only to regret not waiting. Now what i want to know how is 14.04 with amd's apu. can i expect improved gaming performance or about the same right now?. I would hate to update only to find i need to do a clean install of 13.10.
    Last edited by thatlordbaal; April 20th, 2014 at 02:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    1,948
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    I would wait for a month or so. So far it's been rather bug free.
    UsingTheTerminal

    Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Not heaven... Iowa
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    The early bird gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.
    I'll wait for the cheese.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    Agreed!

    I have been running 14.04 as virtual machines for several weeks now in VirtualBox without any real show-stoppers recently, but there are nearly always minor glitches in the first month or two. OK you may be able to solve them easily, but as an apparent new user, certainly a new forum user, you may find it easier to wait for the first bugs to be squashed, then do a clean install, which I would always recommend over an upgrade, but that's just me; upgrades seem to produce a huge number of forum threads where things have gone wrong.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    1,985

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    The early bird gets the bug.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Newcastle NE (England)
    Beans
    200
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    If it were me I would upgrade or even better save all important data and do a fresh install. I have had it installed almost 2 month now and never had to do a fresh install which is rare in a development release. I must say trusty has been one of the most stable releases I have tested. If you are unsure though hang back a few weeks until any reported bugs have been ironed out
    Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Beans
    3

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    I upgraded. It will not boot to kernel 3.13.0-24. I have to boot to 3.11.0-19 instead. I'd wait.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    Quote Originally Posted by alias5 View Post
    I upgraded. It will not boot to kernel 3.13.0-24. I have to boot to 3.11.0-19 instead. I'd wait.
    I have the same problem with an old laptop of mine, Acer Travelmate 2200, celeron cpu 2.66GHz, only 512MB ram, and ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP graphics.

    It simply would not boot any of the 14.04 family of *ubuntu OSs but worked fine with 13.10, so I installed Lubuntu 13.10 and then immediately upgraded to 14.04 using the Alternate Install CD which I had tried to use as an alternative to the live CD. Upon reboot it would still not boot to the new kernel so I was forced to reboot, hold Shift to get the grub menu, and from that choose the 3.11.0-# kernel, and finally remove the 3.13.0-# kernel version entirely.

    I also tried the 3.14.0 kernel but that is no better than the 3.13.0. I have no idea why these new kernels will not work, but at least I am now happy with Lubuntu 14.04 running beautifully on this old machine.

    Is it the cpu, the graphic chip, the m/board, or what that causes the difficulty? I have no idea!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Beans
    2

    Re: Upgrade to 14.04 now or wait?

    thank you everyone. I think I'll wait until May/June to upgrade. as they say "if it ant broke dont fix it."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •