Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete newbie with Ubuntu - first day. My Ubuntu is slow...need to diagnose

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Complete newbie with Ubuntu - first day. My Ubuntu is slow...need to diagnose

This will tell you if your graphic card is capable if running Ubuntu+Unity with 3D acceleration

Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    This is what I see

OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVA5
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes
    If you do not get a Yes on every line then Ubuntu will load an open source driver called llvmpipe, which attempts to give a 3D accelerated appearance on cards that do not support Unity. Even on cards that do support Unity, llvmpipe gives a tolerable but not an optimal experience.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Complete newbie with Ubuntu - first day. My Ubuntu is slow...need to diagnose

I got yes on all. I did as recommended by Sudodus - installed the Xubunto-desktop (sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop) and then got the Xfce4. Now when i boot, i only get the Xubuntu. Is there anyway to switch back to Ubuntu? When i boot, it doesn't give me the option to choose between Xubuntu and ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, you can click on the round symbol according to the attached picture and select session. Unity is the standard Ubuntu desktop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12