Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athlon XP, no Flash

Beans

Re: Computer incompatible with linux

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would think so. Are you installing Linux onto an NTFS formatted partition? Should we do that?

Where is the Linux partition?

Regards.
    I got the hardware info after i put xp back. I used the live lubuntu cd to get the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Klein View Post
    I got the hardware info after i put xp back. I used the live lubuntu cd to get the info.
    And do you have the same problem after a few hours with the live CD? Lubuntu should work just as well after installation on a hard disk unless after installation another video driver was selected. But that can be corrected. It's perfect that you can put the older OS back. That means you can experiment untill you find a solution. Unless the problem is hardware related, of course.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    And do you have the same problem after a few hours with the live CD? Lubuntu should work just as well after installation on a hard disk unless after installation another video driver was selected. But that can be corrected. It's perfect that you can put the older OS back. That means you can experiment untill you find a solution. Unless the problem is hardware related, of course.
    Yes, the live cd - actually, I ran it a usb stick - froze eventually.

I do run the update either when installing, or shortly there after. Is there some update file I should avoid? Or the best to use with my card?

I appreciate the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Klein View Post
    Yes, the live cd - actually, I ran it a usb stick - froze eventually.

I do run the update either when installing, or shortly there after. Is there some update file I should avoid? Or the best to use with my card?

I appreciate the help!
    OK. Google is your friend and starting with
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD
    I found the open source drivers:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

The R200 is fully supported, so that can be ruled out. Since you have the problem with an USB stick, it's not a problem with your hard disk. So it might still be memory related. Did you try increasing swap?

Beans

The R200 is fully supported, so that can be ruled out. Since you have the problem with an USB stick, it's not a problem with your hard disk. So it might still be memory related. Did you try increasing swap?
    I am running memtest now. I heard I should let it for many hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I recommend you go into system set-up and first: set to factory specs, and second, turn off additional features, (onboard LAN, onboard Audio, etc.) and leave as bare bones as possible. If PC stops freezing, you can now trouble shoot and add extra features one by one.

The older the laptop, the better Linux runs on it. I have one that came with Xp with 512 megs RAM that is great with LXDE. Granted, it ain’t no fireball, but it does what I want it to instead of serving as paper weight.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mayagrafix; April 19th, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i suggest you to run requirement tests on RAM for lighter distros especially lubuntu...........
    Nav

Beans

Could I have possibly fixed it !!??

Memtest showed no errors. I reinstalled lubuntu 13.10 and was ok for about an hour before it froze. I had the preferred software window open and was moving it when it froze.

I am running the xfree video drivers.

When I restarted, I went in the bios and disabled the firewire - ( I don't use it ) and disabled plug and play.

I have been running firefox under wine playing a streaming full screen video for about a half hour - a sure freeze inducer, and have put it into suspend and woke up - another freezing problem.

Time will tell, and thanks for the help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayagrafix View Post
    I recommend you go into system set-up and first: set to factory specs, and second, turn off additional features, (onboard LAN, onboard Audio, etc.) and leave as bare bones as possible. If PC stops freezing, you can now trouble shoot and add extra features one by one.

The older the laptop, the better Linux runs on it. I have one that came with Xp with 512 megs RAM that is great with LXDE. Granted, it ain’t no fireball, but it does what I want it to instead of serving as paper weight.

Good luck.
    Could I have possibly fixed it !!??

Memtest showed no errors. I reinstalled lubuntu 13.10 and was ok for about an hour before it froze. I had the preferred software window open and was moving it when it froze.

I am running the xfree video drivers.

When I restarted, I went in the bios and disabled the firewire - ( I don't use it ) and disabled plug and play.

I have been running firefox under wine playing a streaming full screen video for about a half hour - a sure freeze inducer, and have put it into suspend and woke up - another freezing problem.

Time will tell, and thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi there Larry.

Code:
    I have been running firefox under wine
    Why are you doing this?
    Is it a "stress test" kind of thing?
    Firefox works natively in Lubuntu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast