Thread: Kubuntu 14.04 How do I add HP 648c printer when it's not detected/seen?

Beans

Kubuntu 14.04 How do I add HP 648c printer when it's not detected/seen?

Specs: asus a7n8x vm 400 with integrated Nvidia nforce2 graphics, 2500 Athlon Barton, 2x 512MB pc3200 DDR RAM with HP 648c parallel port.

Problem is I don't know how to add my HP 648c printer in Kubuntu 14.04. It is not detected (it is turned on). I searched & searched, tried various "fixes". It's weird cause at least a half dozen other distros worked ootb or had easy walk throughs including other 14.04 buntus. Anybody know how and give or link me to instructions.

The reason I installed Kubuntu is I tried at least 12 distros including 14.04 ubuntu & 14.04 flavors lubuntu, xubuntu, and gnome. Also tried a few older ubuntu and their offspring. And Puppy and many of the Distrowatch suggested distros for older computers. The only distro that had full functionality after a live session and install is Kubuntu. Minor video twitching but nothing compared to the other distros.

Thanks.
    Last edited by zapjb; April 19th, 2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: correct printer info not serial port

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Kubuntu 14.04 How do I add HP 648c printer when it's not detected/seen?

Did you try cups web interface
    http://localhost:631/
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Yes I tried that on Kubuntu & the walk through just said some sort of HP sockets or something. The weird part is in other distros http://localhost:631/ listed my specific printer & the walk through was easy-peasy.

But not in Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Couple of things I's try.
    Ubuntu live dvd - go to settings : printer - see if it picks it up

Have you installed hplip
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

hplip is installed. but i cant locate it to open it.

now i'll try Ubuntu live dvd - go to settings : printer - see if it picks it up

Beans

HP 648c printer serial port
    I presume by "serial port" you mean a USB connection? Does the device appear if you run "lsusb"? I have a Photosmart that has this corresponding entry:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:c202 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart 8200 series
    Also try disconnecting the cable from the printer, then open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
    Now plug the cable back in. Do you see log entries that it has been detected by the OS?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Fixed I think. Too tired to see if fix survives a reboot but it should. Later I'll post about my nvidia card. lol.

Thank you carl4926. This is what worked. From Wilders Security.

"You need to also install hplip-gui. Then you should find it under System in the start menu, titled 'Printer Toolbox.' "

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Fixed I think. Too tired to see if fix survives a reboot but it should. Later I'll post about my nvidia card. lol.

Thank you carl4926. This is what worked. From Wilders Security.

"You need to also install hplip-gui. Then you should find it under System in the start menu, titled 'Printer Toolbox.' "
    Well done!
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

lol. Thank you. It does survive a reboot. There's a HP icon logo in the taskbar now though. Bit scared if I removed it, it'd fubar the printing.

I just saw my Join Date: May 2007. Funny been using different distros. Came back here for help & forgot my pw. Site said wasn't registered. So I did & shazam my original join date.

And I don't think I'll forget "sudo apt-get install _____" for a while either.