Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audacious won't show Ogg Vorbis embedded cover art

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Audacious won't show Ogg Vorbis embedded cover art

Has anyone who plays ogg vorbis files noticed that Audacious has stopped showing embedded cover art? I seem to recall around a year ago it worked fine and Audacious displayed cover art in Lubuntu 13.04. But, no matter what distro i've tried, and i've tried Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu 13.10/14.04, Linux Mint XFCE 16, even tried the windows version of Audacious on my old Windows XP install and audacious will just not show the cover art. Whereas for example running Foobar, a semi popular Windows media player program, it displays the embedded cover art with no problems whatsoever.

Overall i'm just curious if i'm the only one who has encountered this or is it something that's maybe changed with how the various distro's have been handling ogg vorbis files? I haven't tested other media player's included in the various distro's mentioned above to see if they even handle embedded cover art with no problems, but it is kind of a frustrating issue that's holding me back on finally replacing my older Lubuntu 13.04 on this machine with a fresh install of Xubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows XP.
    Last edited by Gilad_Pellaeon; April 19th, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
    "Ah, for the days when a commanding officer could dump a useless minion out the airlock without having to worry about filling in forms..." ―Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Beans

Re: Audacious won't show Ogg Vorbis embedded cover art

There is an interesting, if somewhat dated, discussion of this problem here:

https://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Playback_tests

with a couple of test files. Certainly on my system audacious plays the first of these files with the cover-art displayed, as does MPlayer and vlc. I attach a screenshot of audacious in action. (This is audacious 3.3.4.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I don't see any issue here either, at least with art embedded with easytag.
    I do have a file where the art was embedded as a video stream (dbpoweramp), in that case audacious has an issue with but a bit more drastic, won't play it at all.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm i've embedded my cover art with mp3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ - both in my windows install and through WINE in the past with no issues. The Audacious version's I had tested were 3.43 and up so I'm thinking it could be version related most likely or, less likely, something to do with the ogg vorbis librarie(s) that handle ogg vorbis files. Playback of the files is fine in any distro i've tried as mentioned in my first post. I've went and posted on the Audacious forums so maybe this will shed some light on the issue so to speak.

http://redmine.audacious-media-playe.../1/topics/1170
    Last edited by Gilad_Pellaeon; April 21st, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
    "Ah, for the days when a commanding officer could dump a useless minion out the airlock without having to worry about filling in forms..." ―Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Beans

Something wrong with your copy of audacious I suspect, I attach a screenshot of audacious playing your file + cover art...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Something wrong with your copy of audacious I suspect, I attach a screenshot of audacious playing your file + cover art...
    But that doesn't make sense when I tried all live USB distro's without installing them to the hard drive and then I tried the windows version of Audacious. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's something related to the library file(s) that handle ogg vorbis decoding? You just proved it's not audacious doing it as it's showing the cover art in KDE just fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gilad_Pellaeon View Post
    You just proved it's not audacious doing it as it's showing the cover art in KDE just fine.
    This is a Slackware installation mind you, I am between Ubuntu installations at the moment, but this should make no difference. Nice album art btw if perhaps a little racy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    This is a Slackware installation mind you, I am between Ubuntu installations at the moment, but this should make no difference. Nice album art btw if perhaps a little racy
    I always liked it for like 3 or 4 files in my collection that was just old .MOD files outputted to ogg vorbis compression. Old musical favorites from my youth in the 90's! At any rate now just waiting to hear what the developer of Audacious has to say in the meantime as i'm running Xubuntu 14.04 on my system now and Audacious still won't show the cover art but it plays my music just fine.

Beans
    Distro

Well it turns out the 3.5 beta 1 release of Audacious does seem to fix my problem but alas for me it's been a real pain in the rear to compile the sources and get it running only to find out it still was missing a bunch of plugins and could only output to filewriter *facepalm*. So back to 3.43 for me I guess. Turns out that embedded cover art over 256kb in size is not being properly recognized in some instances - as mentioned on bug fixes since 3.43 on the website for audacious. Oh and of course wepupd8 ppa doesnt seem to have 3.5 beta 1 in a nice deb file to install (yet).

"Ogg Vorbis files with tags larger than 256 KB not recognized correctly"

Beans

If you're going to build software, you need appropriate -dev packages. This command will get you pretty far (need to enable source repos first):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep audacious audacious-plugins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast