Thread: no Flash in Chromium (Firefox OK): "Adobe Flash Player is required to display ..."

Beans

no Flash in Chromium (Firefox OK): "Adobe Flash Player is required to display ..."

On a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04, flash is not available in Chromium. Flash is working in Firefox.

Chromium says "Adobe Flash Player is required to display some elements on this page."

Ubuntu Software Center tells Flash is installed. Removing and re-installing does not solve the problem.

"chromium-browser --enable-plugins" does not change things

Details:

Code:
    sander@hpi3:~$ ll /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
    total 18792
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 apr 19 07:35 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root     4096 apr 15 19:47 ../
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19234160 apr 19 07:35 libflashplayer.so
    sander@hpi3:~$

chrome://plugins/ (or about://plugins) does NOT show flash

Tips how to solve this?

Beans

Re: no Flash in Chromium (Firefox OK): "Adobe Flash Player is required to display ...

You need to install the package pepperflashplugin-nonfree from the repository. Since google has stopped supporting NPAPI plugins system flash no longer works in Chromium.

Good news is you may as well get the more up to date pepperflash, bad news is other media plugins have stopped working as well on Chromium and there is no fix
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree

Beans

Re: no Flash in Chromium (Firefox OK): "Adobe Flash Player is required to display ...

Follow up: solved by installing pepperflash ...

about://plugins now shows Flash, and everything is working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    You need to install the package pepperflashplugin-nonfree from the repository. Since google has stopped supporting NPAPI plugins system flash no longer works in Chromium.

Good news is you may as well get the more up to date pepperflash, bad news is other media plugins have stopped working as well on Chromium and there is no fix
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
    That worked indeed. Thank you.

"NPAPI plugins system flash no longer works in Chromium." ... oh, that sounds bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ninja'd.
    Last edited by deadflowr; April 19th, 2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: me be ninja'd, oh well
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

So ... does this mean that from now on, Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04 has no flash by default? If so: ... brrr.

And if so, wouldn't it be the solution from Ubuntu's side to say chromium-browser 'depends on' pepperflashplugin-nonfree, so that pepperflashplugin-nonfree gets installed by default as soon as chromium-browser is installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, it looks like to get flash on chromium you need to install pepper now.
    Which is kind of a bummer, if you already go through the process of installing flash as usual.

Sort of redundant.

But the brightside is an updated version of flash, so glass half full.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

sadly the pepper flash on my netbook doesn't work properly
    Ubuntu 18.04