Thread: Why the ubuntu 14.04 iso is 1gb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Why the ubuntu 14.04 iso is 1gb?

I have been using ubuntu for nearly 4 yrs and have never seen ubuntu iso more than 700mb. Is it contains more pakages or what?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why the ubuntu 14.04 iso is 1gb?

Most Ubuntu flavour iso files are oversized for CD disks nowadays. They are intended for computers that are 'modern enough' for DVD drives and for booting from USB. But there are exceptions.

1. The Ubuntu mini.iso alias netboot installer alias Minimal CD. This iso file is very small, and can be used to install all Ubuntu flavours.

2. The Lubuntu iso files. Both the desktop iso file and the alternate iso file of the current versions (13.10 and 14.04 LTS) fit in a CD disk. Edit 1: with one exception, the desktop powerpc iso file.

Edit 2:
    3. The Ubuntu server iso files (I found data to verify the size later: These fit within a CD disk.)
    Last edited by sudodus; April 19th, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why the ubuntu 14.04 iso is 1gb?

Thanks sudodos,
    Because i have seen a notice that over size ubuntu iso is actually a bug in beta download pages so i thought if there may be some problem with final relese too. BTW thanks for the clearence. I was in dilemma as it is a LTS version.