Thread: [solved] how to directly install ubuntu 14.04 64 bit from iso image file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question [solved] how to directly install ubuntu 14.04 64 bit from iso image file?

Hello there,

Some general details to start with- I am not that new into Ubuntu, have been using it since 9.04 32 bit so the Terminal is a friend (somehow).
    By that time this PC had 1 GB RAM and couldn't handle 64-bit also there was no need to.
    Lately I have been using painting and edditing softwares for a living and had to support my PC with some more RAM and now, as I use it with 4 GB RAM I thought it would be even more fun to use my buddy even faster so 64-bit came to my mind.

So the thing is that the automatic installation of the system from 12.04 to 14.04 was 32-bit.
    My computer has been formatted and it's completely empty so I don't have the problem of losing files.
    For the last two days I have repeatedly searched the web on how to install 64 bit, found that my processor can accommodate it, and downloaded the .iso file.
    I can not burn the file to a disk or move it to a USB device and when I tried to run it directly, nothing happened. I searched the web for some help on that matter and mainly found explanations about installing from a DVD or USB and transfering from Windows to Ubuntu which weren't exactly helpful here.
    The most helpful result I found was relevant to 12.04, also not to my dist and I'm not sure if it's ok to use it on my Ubuntu:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/34015...-running-linux

My question to you is if this search result can work -the way it is- on the Ubuntu 14.04 I have, and what are the minor changes I need to pay attention to?
    Or if there is a better way to do it- since I assume something might have developed through the years.

Hope I have included all the needed details.
    With great appreciation for helpers,
    Shay-li
    Last edited by shayli147; April 19th, 2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how to directly install ubuntu 14.04 64 bit from iso image file?

Method 1: Boot and Install Ubuntu from the GRUB rescue prompt

> I have not tried this method myself, so I can not say for sure if it works or not.
    > Assumes you already have GRUB2 in your system from a previous Ubuntu (or similar) installation.
    > Looks like it may work on a single drive system.

Method 2: ISO Booting from GRUB, then Installing from the Running LiveCD

> This is the method I used to install Precise 12.04 a few years back, and now Trusty 14.04.
    > Seems to only work if the system has 2 drives: 1 drive will hold the downloaded ISO while the other drive contains the target partition(s) for installation.
    > I have never been able to make this work on a single drive system. I can boot the ISO image just fine with 1 drive, but the installer will insist on unmounting the loopback device during installation.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why can't you burn the ISO (it takes a DVD r/w drive and disk)? Also, may seem like a dumb question, but are you trying to ask how to update your 32-bit 14.04 to 64-bit 14.04? If so, I *think* the only true way is to back up what you need, then re-do an installation of 64-bit from scratch. I'm sure someone will comment on that if I'm wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

_duncan_ - Thank you! I only had to play abit to find the grub location, other than that it took a while but all went smoothly

squakie - This is exactly what I wanted to do, my question was for the right way to do it from the inside since my DVD r/w drive needs to be fixed.