Thread: Why Ubuntu?

Beans

Why Ubuntu?

Let me start by saying that I am so excited by the prospect of moving away from the andriod/apple control of the mobile phone market, that the prospect of the Ubuntu offering of mobile/tablet/desktop is simply stunning (although I suspect that Apple users may have that experience now? but as a WIN7/Andriod user I have no clue).

I first tried Ubuntu in 2010 (10.4) and after wasting evening after evening trying and failing to get wireless connectivity and Java to work to my requirements I gave up and eventually migrated from XP to WIN7, when it came out.

So, four years later what has changed? Can I move from WIN7 to Ubuntu? I've got two use cases.

1. 65+year old parents: email, internet (including BBC iplayer), word processing and Skype.
    2. Me: email, internet (don't really care about BBC iplayer), Lightroom/DXO Optics Pro (not photoshop), Video Editing (home videos - yes, removing lots of video of the floor and wall).

Having spent 2 evenings with 14.04, apart from really simple wireless setup - nothing has changed.

iPlayer does not work, in fact the BBC website also fails, (I know it's flash and it doesn't work on Andriod and it's a BBC problem, but it works on WIN7, WIN8 and Apple)
    Photo editing - GIMP: great; but I am not interested in photoshop either. WINE, what? simply no? Getting a programme to work in WINE defeats the point (and in the case of lightroom does not work, I didn't bother with DXO Optics Pro)
    Video editing - well that is almost pointless in the exteme.

So, 4 years later - nothing has changed (apart from Microsoft ensuring that you have to boot from DVD or USB and cannot dual boot).
    Four years ago I didn't think that Ubuntu was ready for the mainstream
    2014 Use Cases:
    Parents: Email - Pass
    Parents: internet: Fail
    Parents: Word Processing : Fail
    Me: Email - Pass
    Me: Internet - Pass (um... yes, ok)
    Me: Photo - massive fail
    Me: Video - massive fail

So, a question to Mr. Shuttlewoth - where is this really OS going? Is it chasing the office worker? Really? Um, good luck with that.
    The Cloud - ? Great - have fun.
    If it's the comsumer, he needs to take a leaf out of the Apple manual and bundle up the photo, video and music applications up with the OS or ensure that there are a host of players in the arena.
    The file directoty of WIN7/WIN8 details the minimum:
    - My Documents
    - My Music
    - My Photos
    - My Videos

It's been great watch and a great dream - but really, an OS is not enough (as Firefox will find out) - it needs the full suite of top class applications to get people to move

I will now be unplugging the USB stick and giving my parents a WIN7 laptop - it's a shame, but Ubuntu is still not tool for them or a WIN7 replacement for me.

See you in 4 years.

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu?

And where are your topics for helping ?

bbc website working good for me. i have chromium with pepper.

don't be a troll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Recurring Discussions
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds like you want free windows. Of course you are disappointed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by StillConfused View Post
    See you in 4 years.
    It's fairly simple, really: if you need to run Windows programs, use Windows. This isn't going to change in four years, or fourteen years, for that matter.

Closed.