Thread: I really tried but.....goodbye ubuntu

Beans

I really tried but.....goodbye ubuntu

They say its about a different way of doing things here at Ubuntu... and I believed them. But after spending many hours getting the simplest things to work - some of which still do not - I started to compare Ubuntu to owning a car; Most people buy a car because they want it to work - push button - A to B - simple. Some (very few) buy cars because they want to restore them, spend hours looking for spare parts that are rare, awkward to install and difficult to understand BUT THEY LOVE IT because they're really into it.

Now as for myself when it comes to computers and OS's I am like the first group - I want the car to go from A to B - push button; I'm not a techy, I'm not a programmer, I'm not in IT - I'M A CASUAL END USER and it seems to me that UBUNTU is for the second group.
    People who want a functional device do so because they need it for there work lives browsing buying etc. NOT SO THEY CAN spend hours and hours and hours doing this crazy apt get WHAT ???
    Now imagine for a moment I had to do that in order to start my car because it was raining or I wanted to go somewhere different??? I would not be impressed.

The ONLY thing I have managed to get working is chrome - I DO NOT USE FIREFOX - all my stuff is synced across all my devices on chrome . BUT that was not good enough because unlike chrome on windows, I was unable to view Netflix because Ubuntu doesn't have a simple silverlight thingy blah blah (really, i'm not interested - as i said, I'm an end user, A to B ok?) so WHATEVER it would take to get that to work, after all the code you guys have been shoveling......Netflix (and loads of other stuff i would guess) does not work within chrome. SO YES CALM DOWN I GOT THE UBUNTU FIREFOX BASED NETFLIX THINGY BLAH APT GET BLAH BLAH.

BUT - it is so poor in its performance that it is not watchable. (at this point i must make clear that win 7 on same machine did everything just fine, so no, no hardware issues)

I don't look for trouble, honest, I just thought ubuntu was supposed to be so great. Obviously, it isn't. It just isn't worth all these massive headaches every time I think 'ooo, id like to just do this or that' and what happens - hours and hours of endless searching through forums - it's like the quest for the holy grail.
    End result is I'm not prepared to do that to myself any more. So as time goes by I will slowly wind up my usage of ubuntu and say goodbye and good riddance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I really tried but.....goodbye ubuntu

If you want to use commercial proprietary software that is intended for use only on one commercial proprietary operating system, it's probably best to stay with the latter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Since this isn't a request for help, moving to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for creating a forums account just to say good bye. Perhaps we could have helped with some of the problems you were having - had you bothered to ask for help.
    Good luck elsewhere.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Ubuntu and Linux has millions of users, so it must not be that difficult. Of course you can not run Windows specific software under Linux, that's a no brainer. Netflix has been asked repeatedly to provide a Linux client but they refuse to do it. Me and many others manage to find entertainment other than Netflix. Ubuntu is point and click just like any operating system, there is no need to learn complicated commands or any commands for that matter.

How on earth do you use your cell phone or your television, more than likely they are running Linux! Why would you join the forum simply to insult Ubuntu? Also, you try one distro and give up? Run what works for you, there is nothing wrong with running Windows if that is what you like and it works for you. There are many people that dual boot Windows and Linux because they like some software that is not available under Linux.

Your post sounds like you expected Ubuntu to be a free version of Windows. Had you taken the time to ask for help the community would have gladly done their best to help you. Problems occur with any operating system including Windows. Myself and many others have had our share of problems but we take the time to help one another and most of the time things work out just fine. Gaming consoles, good game titles, and a lot of great things have been coming to Linux. There might just come a day when you wished you would have given Linux / Ubuntu more of a chance.

There is a bit of a learning curve but I have installed Ubuntu for people that are not very computer literate and they have done very well with it. There are lists of proprietary software out there and it's open source counterparts. Some things do not have an open source counterpart just yet but there is always someone out there working on it. Again, use what works for you but don't try and tell us how hard Ubuntu is because there is nothing difficult about it if a person is willing to give it an honest try.

Beans

I tried to like Burger King, I really did, but it's clearly not intended for an average joe like me who doesn't know anything about fast food. Here's my experience:
    The first thing I did when I walked into Burger King was to ask for a Big Mac.

The person at the counter said "I'm sorry sir, but the Big Mac is a sandwich that's sold only at McDonald's. We couldn't sell you a Big Mac if we wanted to, because I'm pretty sure it's trademarked. We do have something called a Whopper that a lot of people like."

"That's ridiculous" I said. "How can you not sell a simple thing like a Big Mac? Well, if I can't have a Big Mac, I'd like a Filet-O-Fish sandwich".

"Sorry sir, same thing. Those can only be sold at McDonald's. We can't sell them".

"You can't sell me a Big Mac or a Filet-O-Fish? How can you call yourself a fast-food restaurant? Burger King clearly isn't ready for prime time".

My apologies to anyone reading this tale who wonders what the heck are Big Macs, Whoppers, McDonald's, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zeke2135 View Post
    ...Burger King clearly isn't ready for prime time"....
    Now if only someone had told me that in 1982 when I first tasted them, ('Hungry Jacks' in Oz, 'Burger King' elsewhere as I understand it) I wouldn't be carrying all this "bloatware" ... .

Good analogy, cheers.
    ...goodbye and good riddance.
    @ OP, 'bye

Beans

I really don't understand why you wouid take the trouble to get an account here just to tell us you are quiting but never bothered to get an account to ask a single support question. BTW netflix works very well here on Firefox and Chrome, but it won't work on Chrome soon thanks to google dropping support for Mozilla plugins. And I have no idea what watching netflx has to do with syncing your accounts and why you can't use firefox.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 19th, 2014 at 02:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zeke2135 View Post
    I tried to like Burger King, I really did, but it's clearly not intended for an average joe like me who doesn't know anything about fast food. Here's my experience:
    The first thing I did when I walked into Burger King was to ask for a Big Mac.

The person at the counter said "I'm sorry sir, but the Big Mac is a sandwich that's sold only at McDonald's. We couldn't sell you a Big Mac if we wanted to, because I'm pretty sure it's trademarked. We do have something called a Whopper that a lot of people like."

"That's ridiculous" I said. "How can you not sell a simple thing like a Big Mac? Well, if I can't have a Big Mac, I'd like a Filet-O-Fish sandwich".

"Sorry sir, same thing. Those can only be sold at McDonald's. We can't sell them".

"You can't sell me a Big Mac or a Filet-O-Fish? How can you call yourself a fast-food restaurant? Burger King clearly isn't ready for prime time".

My apologies to anyone reading this tale who wonders what the heck are Big Macs, Whoppers, McDonald's, etc.
    Sorry dude, bad analogy. It is more like you travel to a foreign country and get invited by the friendly locals for a gourmet home cooked feast and you ask for a big Mac and get pissed off because you don't get one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

goodbye and good riddance.
    Closed.