Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program Windows does not show Window in Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Program Windows does not show Window in Ubuntu 14.04

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04. But when I run programs clicking their icons or from terminal than their window does not show up. Here are different error messages I get when I run programs through terminal:

1. When I run chromium browser:
    Code:
    chromium-browser 
    ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
    2. When Itry to open System Monitor, it does not show up.
    Code:
    gnome-system-monitor
    ** (gnome-system-monitor:3279): WARNING **: SELinux was found but is not enabled.
    3. When I reun VLC from terminal.
    Code:
    vlc
    VLC media player 2.1.2 Rincewind (revision 2.1.2-0-ga4c4876)
    [0x924118] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

4. Rhythmbox also does not show up.
    Code:
    rhythmbox

(rhythmbox:4068): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_provider_load_from_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(rhythmbox:4068): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: object SoupServer 0x2d35930 finalized while still in-construction

(rhythmbox:4068): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Custom constructor for class SoupServer returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
    5. Virtualbox from Oracle website also does not work.
    Code:
    virtualbox 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "S&tart" under id 16 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "&Pause" under id 17 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "&Reset" under id 18 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "D&iscard saved state..." under id 24 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "Re&fresh..." under id 25 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "Show in File Manager" under id 27 
    Qt WARNING: void DBusMenuExporterPrivate::addAction(QAction*, int): Already tracking action "Create Shortcut on Desktop" under id 28
    Their icons shows up in sidebar but no windows shows up.

Some application like firefox, nautilus works fine. Does anyone else got similar problems.

System Info:
    Code:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz × 8 
    Memory: 32 GB
    Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DH87MC
    Graphics: Intel® Haswell Desktop 
    OD Type: 64-bit
    Disk: 248.8 GB (SSD)
    I installed SE Linux with this command.
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install selinux
    After installing SELinux, gnome-system-monitor does not give any warning but still no window show up.

Before Installing UBuntu 14.04 I tested it in VirtualBox as Virtual machine and it was working fine and I remember that gnome-system-monitor was working fine and its windows was showing up. But on real machine many application windows do not show up.
    Last edited by khatkarrohit; April 19th, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Program Windows does not show Window in Ubuntu 14.04

I would re-download and make a new liveusb, then reinstall.
    there is a way to verify the integrity of the download, do that to know the files are ok.

If you have a working hard drive with working Ubuntu install on it, you can clone it and stick it in your PC and it will work. just keep 32 bit and 64 bit separated.
    I have done things like that using clonezilla.

Beans

Finally someone with the same problem. The issue is not with the iso as I have installed twice from separate isos and tried an upgrade from 12.04 and none worked. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I would re-download and make a new liveusb, then reinstall.
    there is a way to verify the integrity of the download, do that to know the files are ok.

If you have a working hard drive with working Ubuntu install on it, you can clone it and stick it in your PC and it will work. just keep 32 bit and 64 bit separated.
    I have done things like that using clonezilla.
    Just freshly installed. This time from DVD, Different ISO downloaded in windows and Ubuntu 12.04. Same problem.

Even if I boot Ubuntu Live this same problem persistes. Rhythmbox, Gnome-system-monitor does not work in live mode also.

I also tried installing disabling secure boot completely. In legacy mode the installation window dows not show up. Just a colored background with a bar shows up after booting ubuntu in legacy mode and no way to install in legacy mode.
    Last edited by khatkarrohit; April 19th, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley_Ware View Post
    Finally someone with the same problem. The issue is not with the iso as I have installed twice from separate isos and tried an upgrade from 12.04 and none worked. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Lets try installing Ubuntu Gnome. Maybe some problem in Unity Windowing Manager. This Unity thing is bad from starting. This Unity thing should be purged.
    I tried to download Ubuntu Gnome using torrent and foud out even Transmission Bittorrent Client window is not visible.
    Last edited by khatkarrohit; April 19th, 2014 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] Program Windows does not show Window in Ubuntu 14.04

I do see the window, and get the same terminal you get.
    Code:
    boat@boat-MS-7529:~$ rhythmbox

(rhythmbox:20955): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_css_provider_load_from_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(rhythmbox:20955): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: object SoupServer 0x7f53280036c0 finalized while still in-construction

(rhythmbox:20955): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Custom constructor for class SoupServer returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
    This is how I install gnome

sudo apt-get install gnome

select lightdm when prompted.

Could it be a video driver issue causing a window to not appear?

Someone earlier pointed another poster to an updated video for intel driver set.
    Last edited by howefield; May 10th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Someone earlier pointed another poster to an updated video for intel driver set.
    I tried Ubuntu Gnome and Gnome is also not working at all for me. Where can I find the new Intel driver set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I tried installing Inel driver from their website. The drivers are for Ubuntu 13.10. I tried those drivers and they did not change anything.

Looks like I found problem.
    The problem is there because of two monitors connected to my PC. Windows which are not displaying were displayed in other monitor that was turned off. Wasted whole day. Making a Fresh install.
    Last edited by khatkarrohit; April 19th, 2014 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My problem is solved. The problem is there because of two monitors connected to my PC. Windows which are not displaying were displayed in other monitor that was turned off. Wasted whole day. Making a Fresh install.

Beans

Thanks khatkarrohit. This solved my problem too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast