Thread: Desktop Lunix and .desktop files

Beans

Desktop Lunix and .desktop files

I'm working to move more of my compouter usage to desktop Ubuntu, specifically Lubuntu 13.10, for both regular desktop applications and gaming (yeah Steam!). I've made pretty good success (Steam and my Steam games are running properly!) and I'm going to hold off on a dist-update to 14.04 for a bit yet. Right now, I'm trying to figure out .desktop files. I'm trying to launch a game openxcom , and from the terminal
    Code:
    openxcom -data ~/Programs/Games/XCom\ UFO\ Defense/XCOM
    works normally. I thought I could create a .desktop file for this game with this same commandline. Example:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Name=OpenXcom
    Comment=An open-source clone of the famous X-COM game
    Exec=openxcom -data ~/Programs/Games/XCom\ UFO\ Defense/XCOM
    Terminal=false
    Icon=openxcom
    Categories=Game;StrategyGame;
    it seems like the aurgument "-data ~/Programs/Games/XCom\ UFO\ Defense/XCOM" is not being passed and I don't know why this should be or how to correct it. Ultimately I may want to add more games (or any other application) to my desktop, and need to pass these extra arguments. Any advice? Quick googling suggests this method should work, so I don't get it.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Desktop Lunix and .desktop files

Quote Originally Posted by deamon_knight View Post
    it seems like the aurgument "-data ~/Programs/Games/XCom\ UFO\ Defense/XCOM" is not being passed and I don't know why this should be or how to correct it. Ultimately I may want to add more games (or any other application) to my desktop, and need to pass these extra arguments. Any advice? Quick googling suggests this method should work, so I don't get it.

Thanks
    Try expanding the environment variable for your home folder (~) out to its absolute path. For example instead of ~/Programs ..., put your full home-folder address "/home/<your-username>/Programs ..." (obviously replace <your-username> with your actual username used in your install and don't include the quotes).

Sometimes with shell scripts / desktop config files, and even some applications like cron, an absolute path is required to operate correctly.
    Hope this is of some help to you, cheers.