Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.

Beans

File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.

The first thing I observed after upgrading to new Ubuntu 14.04 is that the fonts in the file manager (both the tree and the folder names) are not the default Ubuntu fonts, but something basic, not formatted.
    I decided to change the theme. Used Unity Tweak Tool, Ubuntu Tweak and Gnome Tweak tool - nothing helped.

Then I decided to install Mediterranean theme. Used Ubuntu tweak. It changes the GTK Theme, and even changed the font as it should be, but this time it doesn't change the Window theme. As a result, the window frame is square (see image attached).

I don't know what happens, but there's something wrong, maybe in the system settings, that messes up my themes. Maybe somebody can help me?

* It should be noted that I did the Log Off and Restart after the changes. So, it's not the solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.0

Hello and Welcome

I don't know about the fonts , but from what I see at Gnome Look the Mediterranean themes haven't been updated to GTK 3.10 yet . Some 3.8 themes will work and others wont or not completely. This has happened with every Gnome update since 3.0.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.0

I have same problem as OP. Some of my old themes work, others don't. I'm even having issues with the newly updated Ambiance and Radiance themes that are supposedly tuned for 14.04. Either way, I'd give it a month-ish so that theme devs and 14.04 can catch up with each other.

Beans

I have restored the original Ambiance theme, and the fonts went back to the unformatted (non-Ubuntu, similar to Verdana). I don't know how to change them.
    See attached the fonts styles: how it should be (left-side) and the one that appears by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Same problem here. Firefox has an ugly theme for a bit as well. That seems to go away after a few seconds, but the small ugly fonts never go away. Also, the Unity top panel has small ugly fonts. Looks almost like GNOME shell fonts.

Screenshot from 2014-04-18 22:36:37.pngScreenshot from 2014-04-18 22:25:51.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not believe that fonts should/do change when you change themes (I may be wrong). Anyhow, to change to something you want open Unity Tweak Tool and go to the fonts section. You can set anything you like here, but pay attention to the Appearance (anti-aliasing/hinting section) area. If you're on an LCD monitor then you should set the same as I have. I also find that the DejaVu Sans font is very clean and crisp.
    Last edited by PJs Ronin; April 19th, 2014 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I've found so far:

I installed and played around with Cairo Dock, logged back into unity, and some of the fonts were different.

So if I:

Code:
    unity --replace
    Now all the fonts/themes are back to normal. But now Firefox won't start. Even after reboot.

After a restart there is a definate time, 30 seconds or so, and you can 'watch' the theme changing, along with some of the fonts.

It's sad this is a LTS, I've never had these kind of problems before on a fresh install.

I wish I knew how to log compiz or unity's actions right after log in........can anybody help with that? I'd like to file an official bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If I reboot, and wait a few minutes before logging in, everything looks great.

Definately something going on. Surprised its not that many people.......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the same problem with my Ubuntu 14.04.

BTW. Did you install Ubuntu on SSD? Maybe it's caused by too fast starting time...

Beans

So I just setup a brand new system - and noticed the font weirdness in Ubuntu right out of the gate. I've installed unity-tweak-tool and downloaded a bunch of themes -- but when I change the theme, nothing happens.

I'm interested in Nadro's post -- as indeed, I did install the root onto a Corsair SSD. Does anyone have any further info on problems with using an SSD for the root partition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast