Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.

Beans

Re: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.0

Quote Originally Posted by emailme-t View Post
    So I just setup a brand new system - and noticed the font weirdness in Ubuntu right out of the gate. I've installed unity-tweak-tool and downloaded a bunch of themes -- but when I change the theme, nothing happens.

I'm interested in Nadro's post -- as indeed, I did install the root onto a Corsair SSD. Does anyone have any further info on problems with using an SSD for the root partition?
    Same here.

I've installed Ubuntu 14.04.01 in a VirtualBox machine. The virtual disk is stored in an external USB 3.0 HD. This installation is fine and stable. Themes and fonts configuration work perfectly in Unity Tweak Tool and Appearance menu of Ubuntu.

However, after installing Ubuntu in my "physical" machine (not a virtual machine), which has an SSD, a lot of bugs happen.
    I can't change themes and font renderization configurations. Choosing a different theme (other than Ambiance), either in Unity Tweak Tool or Appearance (Ubuntu System Settings) menu, does nothing. Choosing different font hinting options in Unity Tweak Tool also does nothing.

I didn't have this problem in the past, in Ubuntu 10.04 version, before this aberration called "Unity" has been introduced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: File manager fonts and window themes are not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 14.0

Very similar to what I'm experiencing.

After replacing a traditional Seagate HDD with a Samsung SSD some strange things are happening.
    The most annoying one is that the selected theme only works after a new login.
    This behavior applies for every boot.

A clean install of Ubuntu 14.04.1 doesn't solve this.

Beans

Same problem here, I replaced my old WD harddrive with WD 1TB 64MB CACHE CAVIAR BLACK, it boots really fast. compiz --replace brings back all the changes made with tweak tools, but on reboot they all disappears (Themes, Fonts and Icons).

Beans

I have the same issue, my workaround is to logout/login again after a reboot.
    My root disk is a SSD but I can't imagine, that this may be the reason for this nasty behaviour.

Beans

Guys I am also facing the same issue on Lenovo B320 AIO and I have a WD Caviar 1TB HDD. Still the issue persists.
    Last edited by Himanshu_Amodwala; June 2nd, 2015 at 07:49 AM.

Beans

I can confirm this issue. Fresh installed Ubuntu 14.04.3 64bit on SSD fails to load the icon/theme 50% of boots if autologin is enabled. With manual login everything is ok. Executing "killall nautilus && compiz --replace" seems to fix the issue when it happens. Looks like the boot is so fast something is not loaded properly. Any further information on this?

Beans

I have the same issue and searching for a solution since months.
    My first idea was, it's maybe theme related or I have destroyed/mixed the settings with tweaking the desktop with unity tweak tools and/or ccsm.

After a reboot, a lot of settings are blown away (font size, theme settings, fonts in conky etc) and the loaded theme in some GUIs looks like old fashion '90s GTK style. I found out, that multiple (in most cases 2-3) logout's/login's of the desktop session (not reboots) helps, what sound like a time out issue or something like that of the desktop service.

this post describes the same issue
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/62814...untu-14-04-lts

Now, what I did is the same, waiting some (20..40) seconds before login into the desktop session and the theme and all the settings are fine.
    but this can't be the final solution ...

My /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows, that (in my case) after ~24s the initialization its ready (my interpretation) and from that it works fine

[ 23.757] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-11E5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xkm
    [ 23.792] (II) intel(0): resizing framebuffer to 3840x1080
    [ 23.792] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI1 using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none
    [ 23.824] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI2 using pipe 1, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none
    [ 23.840] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1920x1080@60.0 on HDMI2 using pipe 1, position (1920, 0), rotation normal, reflection none

Can anyone confirm, that waiting of at least 40s before login to the desktop session "solve" the described problem ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12