Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: imac live session fails to load for Mac version ISO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

imac live session fails to load for Mac version ISO.

I have a mid 2011 27 imac and I can't get it to load the Mac specific version of Ubuntu, I downloaded the Ubuntu for mac ISO and created a bootable USB thumb drive but it will not show up at the boot selection so I thought I might have had a bad ISO so I re-downloaded and started over but had the same results, then I tried just the regular Ubuntu ISO and it loads up just fine, so what's going on with the Mac specific version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: imac live session fails to load for Mac version ISO.

Moved to Apple Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro

Nobody ever seen this issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quite sorry, I have macs for work, and I am not to install Ubuntu on them.. I do not have one of my own that I could be playing with. That said, here are a few threads, although older, that may be of some use :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144172
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015238
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2001755
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1972982

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ub...ciseon2011imac
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your input, I have read most of those threads and I'm ready to install but I'm just wondering if I should try to get the mac specific ISO to work or just go ahead and install it using the regular Ubuntu ISO? What else is in the mac ISO?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 300Z View Post
    Thank you for your input, I have read most of those threads and I'm ready to install but I'm just wondering if I should try to get the mac specific ISO to work or just go ahead and install it using the regular Ubuntu ISO? What else is in the mac ISO?
    I think it has to do with booting, Macs do not appear to boot uefi mode properly :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/633983

But it now appears Trusty works :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1298894

So I may be you'll have to try the regular version and comment on the bug reports if you cannot boot it. That would mean that the Mac ISO will have to continue to be offered.
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans

I have a mid 2011 27 imac and I can't get it to load the Mac specific version of Ubuntu, I downloaded the Ubuntu for mac ISO and created a bootable USB thumb drive but it will not show up at the boot selection so I thought I might have had a bad ISO so I re-downloaded and started over but had the same results, then I tried just the regular Ubuntu ISO and it loads up just fine, so what's going on with the Mac specific version?
    @300Z:

I think you are asking the wrong question . . . for any of the Intel macs the version is not different, you would just be picking 32 bit or probably for you it would be the 64 bit "amd" . . . version. The only "specific for apple" .iso should be for "ppc" . . . and would not work on your mac. Yesterday I downloaded the Xubun 14.04 64bit amd iso, burned it to DVD and I'm booted up in my '10 MBPro . . . no problem. I'm certain if I took the Lubun 14.04 for ppc iso DVD and tried to boot it on this laptop . . . it would not work.

That said, there is some difference on getting Ubun to boot on Mac, and usually that is a "dual boot" set up, unless you run it in virtual app; for dual booting you need "rEFInd" installed before your OSX partition . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @300Z:

I think you are asking the wrong question . . . for any of the Intel macs the version is not different, you would just be picking 32 bit or probably for you it would be the 64 bit "amd" . . . version. The only "specific for apple" .iso should be for "ppc" . . . and would not work on your mac. Yesterday I downloaded the Xubun 14.04 64bit amd iso, burned it to DVD and I'm booted up in my '10 MBPro . . . no problem. I'm certain if I took the Lubun 14.04 for ppc iso DVD and tried to boot it on this laptop . . . it would not work.

That said, there is some difference on getting Ubun to boot on Mac, and usually that is a "dual boot" set up, unless you run it in virtual app; for dual booting you need "rEFInd" installed before your OSX partition . . . .

e.e.p.
    From the download page on the drop down menu on choose your flavour there's an option for the 64-bit Mac (AMD64) and that's the one I downloaded, as far as I'm aware that's not for the PPC platform.
    Last edited by 300Z; April 19th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

From the download page on the drop down menu on choose your flavour there's an option for the 64-bit Mac (AMD64) and that's the one I downloaded, as far as I'm aware that's not for the PPC platform.

You are correct, interesting, because like I said, yesterday I just downloaded the Xubun flavor and saw nothing different for Mac . . . main thing is, did you get something to work? If so, you are a winner in linux-land . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro

I haven't got the Mac version to work but I can boot the regular version every time and everything seems to work, the only weird thing is the audio doesn't sound the same, I think Apple uses some sort of frequency response equalization on OSX, but the weird part is that it also sounds different on the line out that goes to my amplifier.
    I haven't tried to install it yet as I haven't had much free time these past few days but I'll probably do it later today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast