Thread: copying Linksys WUSB600N driver

Beans

copying Linksys WUSB600N driver

Hi all,

Windows XP refugee, and a complete Linux newbie here.

I tried LXLE on my old laptop and was pleasantly surprised with how it recognized my Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter right out of the box.

That's something that I could not manage with any other Linux distro that I tried.
    My question is, how can I copy this driver from LXLE to Lubuntu? (because I like Lubuntu's look and feel better, and the manual process of compiling the driver for Ubuntu is just way above my head).

Thanks
    Last edited by LdpmZ3xEfHPMV; April 18th, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: copying Linksys WUSB600N driver

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20318...ased-lxle.html

I see it is ubuntu based.
    Did you boot ubuntu and the wireless does not work?

Beans

have you tried using the additional drivers feature?
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20318...ased-lxle.html

I see it is ubuntu based.
    Did you boot ubuntu and the wireless does not work?
    Yes, there is nothing to configure the wireless network with. In LXLE, using the same computer and USB adapter, I could scan for nearby networks and connect without configuring anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    have you tried using the additional drivers feature?
    I went to Preferences > Additional Drivers, after a few seconds it said no propitiatory drivers are in use and there was nothing to enable.

I noticed the light on the USB adapter stays on, so it must have be recognized by Lubuntu.

So I did some digging around and added the Network Applet next to the clock. asdasdasd.jpg

from there I could click on the monitors icon and see nearby wireless networks, after clicking my wireless network and entering password, nothing happened.

I even reset my router, and disabled wireless password, but still it would not connect at all. (I could connect with ethernet cable just fine).

any ideas how can I configure the wireless driver or something to make it work?
    Thanks

Beans

After searching some more I found out that if I type nm-applet then I would get a new icon at systray to configure the wifi! and it seems to be working fine. phewww....

but I do get a lot of warnings and failed messages at the terminal window, that I would appreciate if anyone could clarify:
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ nm-applet
    nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon
    nm-applet-Message: No keyring secrets found for MYWiFi/802-11-wireless-security; asking user.

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_new_with_path: assertion 'path_is_valid (path)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_get_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion 'g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion 'g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_unref: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_new_with_path: assertion 'path_is_valid (path)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_get_value: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion 'g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion 'g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_unref: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:3301): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nm-applet:3301): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 3 char 81: '(((('' is not a valid name

(nm-applet:3301): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 3 char 81: '(((('' is not a valid name

also when I close the terminal the network manager icon goes away completely, how can I make it stay in the systray?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just enter:
    Code:
    nm-applet &
    It should stay now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Just enter:
    Code:
    nm-applet &
    It should stay now.
    That didn't do it. Had to manually add it to startup programs...

Beans

This thread can be closed and marked as solved.

But clearly nm-applet has a bug which prevents it from loading automatically in this case.