Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) known bugs and work arounds

Beans

Re: 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) known bugs and work arounds

Installed 14.04 64 bit afresh on my Asus with A4 - 5000. Works great except the display brightness controls (Fn+function). No solution. Simply using Catalyst and set max brightness and varibright.
    Last edited by Ashwij; July 7th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Installed onto a machine with an ATI 6530D graphics card and Unity was virtually unusable - very sluggish, low resolution.

Solution as per my thread here:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12955391
    Registered Linux User #426227

Beans

I set the Unity Launcher to auto-hide, and I set the keyboard shortcut for locking the screen to be Super+L. Of course the Super key is also the key that launches the Unity Search funcionality, so in particular it causes the Unity Launcher to pop out. The problem is that the system seems to get confused when it goes into the lock screen: when I unlock the screen, the Unity Launcher is stuck out there, when it should be auto-hiding.

Workaround: Either set the keyboard shortcut to something that does not involve the Super key, or else type Super Alt Alt to get the launcher unstuck.

Beans

I got the "Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE)" because I'm on 12.04 LTS, so I installed the newer HWE version instead of going to 14.04... Upon reboot I was getting stuck in a busybox shell or something... I then wiped the drive and tried to install 14.04 fresh... During the install, it crashed at the partition choosing screen. I figured out that 14.04 cannot see my SSD to do the install... I thought I was going crazy, I would take it out and it would work on other computers, but just not during the 14.04 install... I tried changing bios settings on the SSD but no luck... I then got the 12.04 install and it finds my SSD! Is it possible that the new kernel in 14.04 isn't compatible with my setup and it's not allowing my hard drive to be seen!? The computer is a ZOTAG MAG HD-ND01.

Beans

Installing proprietary AMD (and I think nVidia) drivers while an Intel integrated GPU is present results in an error screen at boot.

The solution is to go into BIOS and disable the integrated GPU.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Comment on post #29:

My newly build computer has allmost the same processor, with built in graphics:

Processor : AMD A8-6600 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4
    Graphics : Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA
    OS type : 64bit

and it shows exactly the same behaviour that is described here.

The initial solution is very simple: use the boot parameter acpi=off

You can change the line (in /etc/default/grub):
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    to
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off"

and after saving this don't forget to do: sudo update-grub
    I say: initially, as I still have the problem that after shutdown, the computer still reboots by itself, unless the power button is pressed when it has halted.

I guess it is a problem with the AMD processor, as that is (almost) the only thing common to your and my computers.
    Last edited by Topsiho; September 11th, 2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo; forgot file name), added post #29

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234