Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

14.04 (Trusty Tahr) known bugs and work arounds

During the development cycle, Trusty was pretty reliable, I only needed to do a fresh install once in the 6 months.

There were a few problems with permissions during the test cycle, but those were fixing during updates

Please post how you worked around any bugs that you run into.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) known bugs and work arounds

I started late in the beta cycle. I performed fresh install in both cases
    1) I found that application windows such as maximized Thunderbird did not display completely - by that I mean the min-max-close controls were not always visible. Since I really didn't like Unity anyway I choose to install Gnome-flashback which provided the correct display of the controls. Also it was an easy fix to move the controls to the upper right.
    2) I tried to make the top panel transparent on my Dell laptop which caused 'Indicator Applet Complete' to fail upon boot. I attributed this to a relatively slow cpu / hard disk; the remedy was reverting to 'use system theme'
    Overall I give 14.04 an A minus since #1 doesn't matter to me and #2 didn't affect my desktop HP
    Last edited by pfeiffep; April 18th, 2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: qualified info
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Pithos 0.3.18 does not display icon in indicator panel anymore (at least on my system), had to disable "show notification area icon" option and just minimize Pithos to launcher, otherwise it cannot be turned off easily.

Pithos also disables all sound control through the sound indicator menu, volume must be adjusted through "sound properties" in settings or using sound control buttons on keyboard until system is rebooted.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; April 18th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 today. Its a fresh install. No windows are visible when I open applications. Here is complete thread. I am thinking to install Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Suspend / Resume: If using NVIDIA card, the Noveau driver did not resume from suspend. Changed to Proprietary NVIDIA driver and everything works great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All, I really thought this thread should contain posts of PROBLEM + SOLUTION/WORK AROUND

Recommend that this thread limits to that type of post... otherwise, post a issue without solution in an different thread or new thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The problem is Ubuntu 14.04 has disabled Workspace switcher by default. Its hard to find on which monitor Window appeared on first time if other monitor is off. Its better to turn on enable workspaces in settings to avoid confusion.
    Settings-->Appearance-->Behaviour.

Beans

multiple people (including myself) appear to encounter serious issues when choosing to encrypt their home folder during installation of ubuntu 14.04 (and its flavors). it seems that during an install where this option is chosen, ubquity attempts to create a valid encrypted swap partition, but always ends up failing. so the user comes out on the other end with no functional swap space at all.

see the following for more details:
    - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217889
    - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2218354
    - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1303002

edit: temporary workarounds posted in the first thread i linked to above, but they're quite literally workarounds, in that they do not remedy the issue of ubuntu being unable to recognize and utilize encrypted swap partitions in the new LTS.
    Last edited by taytaybongsong; April 20th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.

Beans

After upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04, I had no sound. No devices were present in the sound settings panel. After some searching, I added my userid to group audio:

sudo usermod -a -G audio <myuserid>
    then rebooted.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arm-c View Post
    All, I really thought this thread should contain posts of PROBLEM + SOLUTION/WORK AROUND

Recommend that this thread limits to that type of post... otherwise, post a issue without solution in an different thread or new thread.
    Correct.
    Posts which didn't offer a solution / workaround have been jailed.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast