View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by stretch4 View Post
    some PC my uncle built like 12 years ago. (1 GB ram, Intel Pentium, and nVidia nForce 2 chipset).
    I feel for you, but have you ever considered upgrading?

After all the mucking around with different Linux's (Linii?) you've done, rebuilding a desktop computer is easy.

Here's a few simple rules:

Choose your processor (cpu) first. Take note of the Socket Number, this decides what type of motherboard you need.

Search for a motherboard with whatever features you think you need with that CPU socket.

Take note of the FSB speed of the motherboard you have chosen. That decides what RAM speed you can have.

And of course you'll need a new power supply (PSU) that has all the new SATA and PCIe plug fittings.

For modern setups you'll need a bare minimum of 450 watts, I recommend 600 watts or more and "Dual Rail" which means there's a second 12 volt transformer in there for extra harddrives and USB's.

Depending on the age of your old setup, you may need a new harddrive and cdrom, they need to have SATA plug fittings, not the old IDE fittings with the big fat grey cable.

I do several of these every year for people, and through personal observations (please don't yell at me) for a stable system that should last many more years I'd recommend:

A quad core (core i5) Haswell processor Socket 1150 (intel processor with graphics card built in to the processor chip)
    A Gigabytes socket 1150 motherboard with intel chipset. I've had problems with "H" series and "B" series of chipsets but the more expensive "Z" series have never failed me.
    I have to admit I haven't touched an AMD chipset in 15 years and I don't know if this is still valid. AMD used to be faster than intel but had more problems with heat and reliability.
    All modern motherboards should be able to handle this - at least 8 gig of ram running at 1600 Mhz

For both RAM and Power supplies, whenever you read any reviews they mostly use Corsair as the bench mark. Why not buy the bench mark? They're not expensive.

In poxy Australian dollars 8 Gig of RAM @ 1600 Mhz Corsair will set you back about $50, a Corsair 600 watt dual rail power suplpy costs around $100.
    Decent motherbard and processor will set you back another $300.

If you need to replace your old harddrive and cdrom as well you're looking at a budget of around $600.

Maybe not tomorrow but food for thought.

PC cases have used the same standard sizes for parts for more than 30 years now, everything will fit in your old case unless it's one of those Slim Line or Miniature cases.
    The only modern difference is ventillation in the side cover but this is important, there needs to be a vent hole there. The PSU sucks air out of the case and blows it out the back,
    there needs to be a hole in the side cover so that air gets drawn across the processor then up into the PSU. It doesn't need to be fancy, cut your own hole and glue a bit of fly wire over it.

I don't know how old your monitor is but with many programs theses days, if your screen resolution is anything less than 1440 X 900 the button down the bottom to click OK will be off screen.

Graphics-wise, intel and nVidea chipsets are so similar that some linuxes get the two confused, either drivers should mostly work on both.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andrew.
    Last edited by Slopsbucket; May 1st, 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: because I have fat fingers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Good update experience on Kubuntu. Everything still seems to work

Beans

Hi Everyone.

Just trying out Ubuntu for the first time in a few years and I'm quite impressed so far.

I've used Linux for more than ten years now but I've always used RPM based systems so I'm going through a bit of a learning curve. So far that curve is a little more gentle than I expected.

First thing that threw me was no root password but a quick search found well laid out documentation that has (mostly) put my fears to rest and for now I'll try it the Ubuntu way.

The default Ubuntu software installer horrified me. Yeh, it looks pretty but ideograms for semi-illiterate teenagers don't impress me and having to go into another page to get a description then back out to get to the main list then back into another page again for another description, etc. etc. ad nauseum... It's a lot more work than it needs to be.

But once again a quick search found well laid out documentation and Synaptic Package Manager is much more to my liking. And the default repositories offer a superb range of packages.

So far my only complaint is Ubuntu's graphical installer. For someone with multiple internal harddrives and quite a few different operating systems that thing is confusing and even a little scary because it's very unclear about which drives and partitions it intends to install on and where it's going to put it's bootloader. Far too scary for me, the only way I could proceed was by letting it have a whole harddrive to itself and unplugging all my other drives so that there could be no mistakes. In comparrison with everything else I've seen in Ubuntu so far it's a bit sad.

Cheers,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installed Xubuntu 14.04 and (for a while) Ubuntu 14.04 on a few machines. It's been pretty much flawless except I get a couple of system errors when I resume from suspend to ram. If I don't figure them out the next time, I think I'll let them send the error report that they want to.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who finish what they started and

Hey! That's the wrong punchline!

Beans

Good update, nothing went wrong except for a network thing that I was able to fix

Beans

Easy peasy. I just put it on a USB and overwrote my Manjaro install. I like how much faster it seems to be on my computer. Currently downloading GTA SA to play on it.

Beans

I keep getting an error with /tmp not found. This is my first time using anything other than Windows and I really am frustrated with the issue. I Posted a thread a few days ago and I can't seem to find any other venues to seek help so is have to say my experience so far has been downright awful, but that'd probably more due to my ignorance than anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Desktop pc with nvidia 8600gt. Upgrade from 13.10 went well with no hitches at all.

Beans

I wanted to congratulate the Ubuntu team for a perfect 13.10->14.04 upgrade. In fact it went so perfectly I was astonished. 2.6GB of packages; not all core packages, and a non-standard window manager; icewm.

Well done to the entire team - the quality management here is impressive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sigh... Everything used to be good. Now having on and off no sound issue.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast