View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    So, I remembered I had an old laptop that the mother board was fried in. I had 2x4 GB sticks in it. I salvaged one of them and put it into he new laptop for a grand total of 8 GB in the new machine! Holy smokies!

Found out that I can indeed expand up to 12 GB. The stock 4 GB of ram is not servicible, not by me anyhow. But, I can go with up to an 8 GB stick in the user servicible expansion slot. Maybe down the road...
    8GB, huh? Not bad. I think you could run a few decent games with that.

Beans

Upgraded from 13.10 on a lenovo R61 broke the bluetooth, at first it would connect but but no sound piped to the headset now it's just "disabled" also crashed the flash player, and the volume doesn't work right. surprisingly netflix still works though I may try a fresh install and see if the internet failure was a factor. OK synaptic got flash working. Fresh install got the bluetooth working so all good, next time I'll just go for the fresh install from the start.
    Last edited by ghz24; April 28th, 2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Trusty Tahr
    Fresh installs on two machines: a Mac Pro 5,1 tower, and a home-built PC. Both are running the server distribution.

Most everything went smoothly except with the Mac on reboots. As I outlined in one of my threads, the "login" text console never appears. The screen scroll stops updating after the swap space is enabled. The machine continues booting just fine. If I do a 'safe boot', then it comes right up with a login console.

Still haven't figured that one out yet. Otherwise: all good.

Beans

Did another install of Lubuntu 14.04 on an old 32bit machine. Went okay, only ran into 2 problems:

1) There's an old bug with fonts that goes back to at least Lubuntu 13.04 that causes crashes in many programs, on any system, not just old 32bit ones. lxterminal and the application that displays logout options both crashed. The latter would make the screen flash white for a second. Trying to launch lxterminal from xterm, I saw this error: cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy: Assertion `!scaled_font->cache_frozen' failed. There is a workaround. In Preferences -> Customise Look and Feel, on the Widget tab (which is the default) change "Lubuntu-default" to anything else. I use "Mist".

2) Flash player would show only a blank area. The problem was that the Athlon XP 2600 in that old computer does not support the SSE2 instruction set, and the most recent flash player binaries made for Linux were compiled for SSE2. Uninstalled the Ubuntu Flash player plugin and found and put a slightly older flash player binary (libflashplayer.so) in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

On a 64bit machine, tried an upgrade from 13.10. After half an hour of downloading and installing, the upgrade failed. Put up a short message saying so. Left the system unbootable. Wasn't too hard to just do a fresh install, keeping everything under /home. Should've done the fresh install to start with, but hoped the upgrade route would keep all the packages I had installed under 13.10.
    Last edited by bzipitidoo; April 29th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just found this thread, right after I posted at bugs thread. Sorry admin.

I notice that Ubuntu 14.04 drain my battery faster than Windows 8.1. Just wondering if this normal. I installed LTP and choose powersave menu, I set the brightness to second or third minimum brightness, and I only play music by gmusicbrowser and browsing with Firefox, by wifi.

And for windows, also with second or third minimum brightness, play music by Foobar and browsing with Waterfox and off course by wifi too. There will be about 2 hour usage different for these two. I just set custom power management but no shutdown, sleep, longer time to dim etc... Thank you.

Last Ubuntu I tried is Jaunty, but I get rid of Ubuntu since I was heavily gaming that time and then I barely boot into my Ubuntu. To be honest I prefer and miss old Ubuntu UI along with installation UI. I got some confusion when I first time try to install Ubuntu since the last time with Jaunty. And I missed old desktop. Unity feels more like a mobile phone. I remember just after I installed Ubuntu 8.04 which is my first moment with Linux, I never get used with taskbar at bottom.

And I wish x32 version can be boot with UEFI based machine. My plan is to install x32 on my lappie but since I don't have choice, I end up with x64. Other than this, I don't think I got any other issue with 14.04.

Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Dual boot Windows 8.1 x64
    Inspiron-5437

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@dunkuk_gelay: unity launcher is really just a dock...if you ever played with a mac in an apple store, then it shouldn't seem that strange...except of course, it is on the left instead of the bottom
    Last edited by craig10x; April 30th, 2014 at 01:33 AM.

Beans

Just Re Installed Kubuntu 14.04 on a new San Disc 128 GB SSD. Omg why didnt I do this earlier, This thing is as fast as my Puppy Linux now. Well worth the $90 for the SSD.
    No issues.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit --- Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz 4GbRam 250GB Samsung SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @dunkuk_gelay: unity launcher is really just a dock...if you ever played with a mac in an apple store, then it shouldn't seem that strange...except of course, it is on the left instead of the bottom
    Yup, but it's just that I miss old Ui. 2 taskbar, with the similar like Mac. Now they're more minimal and I still haven't figure out how to edit the dock like other dock I installed. But, I prefer Gnome do. Simply press key and enter the phrase. But so far I never found any great launcher like Launchy in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With Microsoft no longer supporting Windows XP, and my computer being too old to use Windows 7 or 8, my journey into Linux begins...

It took me a long time and a lot of effort, but I finally got my system running smoothly. I'm fairly certain that all of the problems I've had can be directly related to my PC being a POS. It's some PC my uncle built like 12 years ago. (1 GB ram, Intel Pentium, and nVidia nForce 2 chipset) First I tried Ubuntu, but it runs way too slow, and the graphics were all screwey. Spent the better part of a day trying to get it to work and gave up. Then I tried Lubuntu. It ran faster, but still too slow, and had the same graphics problems. Then I tried Puppy linux. It worked okay. It ran pretty fast, but it still had the graphics problems and I wanted more features. Then I tried Xubuntu. Xubuntu runs fast enough but alas, it is also plagued by the glitchy graphics. All of this has occured over the past week. This afternoon, I started a XFCE Desktop session (instead of Xubuntu) and whattaya know? The graphics are looking good!

Now that I've got everything personalized and running well, Linux is growing on me. After so many installs, I've fallen in love with the terminal. And even though it took a lot of effort, I've learned a lot about Linux from this whole process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dunkuk_gelay View Post
    Yup, but it's just that I miss old Ui. 2 taskbar, with the similar like Mac. Now they're more minimal and I still haven't figure out how to edit the dock like other dock I installed. But, I prefer Gnome do. Simply press key and enter the phrase. But so far I never found any great launcher like Launchy in Windows.
    The Unity dash works the same way, press the Super key, and type the first couple of letters of the application you want to start. The one thing I'm curious about, is why you'd want to use a 32-bit version, when you have a 64-bit based system.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast