View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Made the 14.04LTS switch from 13.10

I decided to take the full plunge and simply reformat my B590 14.04 LTS from Ubununtu 13.10; Everything went well, and I like the new Unity personalizations. It will solve a small issue I have had in the past using Unity with VMware, because VMware does not like having the menu bar in the configuration of the older style Unity, hence my interest in upgrading now, instead of waiting until 13.10 would automatically upgrade. Thus all is well, how do others feel about it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Made the 14.04LTS switch from 13.10

Did the same here yesterday on a netbook. Production systems will wait a month or so. Just be certain to be completely current on patches before doing the upgrade to 14.04.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Made the 14.04LTS switch from 13.10

I upgraded all of my computers to 14.04. I like the refinements that were made with Unity. I especially like how 14.04 is running on my laptop! My laptop has secure boot and the LTS has no problems at all with it. Also, the new LTS runs pretty fast and smooth, it was a worthwhile upgrade. I plan on staying with 14.04 on my laptop for the foreseeable future and wait patiently for Unity 8 to mature. I do have a desktop that I most likely will run development releases on though.

I like the direction that Ubuntu has taken and I would like to try and help out where I can with Unity 8. I would like to see Canonical reach it's goal of convergence before Microsoft does. The developers seem more focused on quality and reliability and I think Unity might have what it takes to be successful. There are all kinds of new things and ideas out there but in my opinion Unity so far has the best shot at appealing to the masses across a wide range of devices.

I like a lot of different distributions and a lot of desktop environments, window managers but Canonical has been demonstrating that they can be successful as a business. I expect to walk into my local electronics store someday and see devices with Ubuntu beside their competitors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Merged with existing thread.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

As smooth as a good claret and what a result. 14.04 seems quite a bit faster than 13.10. Hats off to all the developers. I have upgraded seamlessly since 9.04 and it worked every time - well done!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Best results I could have hoped for Upgrading! Apparently Adobe Flash Player for Chromium is no longer supported, as it was removed, which I easily replaced with Pepper Flash Player. Also, I was able to use a 48-pixel pointer for my 1366 x 768 display by setting it in an ~/.Xresources file, which now no longer works. (This was solved by replacing the left_ptr cursor file with a modified single-layer image so that a large pointer is displayed regardless of the cursor size setting.)

Oh yeah, installation prompted me to confirm removal of a host of "no longer needed" modules, which I did, and highly recommend.
    Last edited by rtimai; April 19th, 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have had a major problem with an old laptop of mine, Acer Travelmate 2200, celeron cpu 2.66GHz, only 512MB ram, and ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP graphics which I wanted to use with Lubuntu 14.04.

It simply would not boot to the 3.13 kernel in any of the 14.04 family of *ubuntu OSs but worked fine with 13.10, so I installed Lubuntu 13.10 and then immediately upgraded to 14.04 using the Alternate Install CD which I had used in my attempt to install as an alternative to the live CD. Upon reboot it would still not boot to the new kernel so I was forced to reboot, hold Shift to get the grub menu, and from that choose the 3.11.0-# kernel, andonce booted to the 3.11 kernel, remove the 3.13.0-# kernel version entirely.

I also tried the 3.14.0 kernel but that is no better than the 3.13.0. I have no idea why these new kernels will not work, but at least I am now happy with Lubuntu 14.04 which is at last running beautifully on this old machine.

Is it the cpu, the graphic chip, the m/board, or what that causes the difficulty? I have no idea!

Beans

I upgraded three machines from 13.10 to the 14.04 development branch a couple of months ago and have been installing updates pretty regularly. Two of these were desktops with Asus M478LT-M LE motherboards, Athlon II cpus and nvidia 8400GS graphics cards. The third machine is a Gigabyte "Brix" with an AMD A8-5545M processor, model # GB-BXA8-5545. After a couple of issues during the development period, all three upgraded to the final version w/o a problem as far as I can tell. A Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet and two Logitech Quickcam pro 9000 webcams work. I have Ubuntu desktop installed on the Brix but use it mostly as a headless server, so I can't really say much about the desktop behavior. I since upgraded the two desktops to Asus A88XM-A motherboards and AMD X4 740 cpus (same graphics cards) and they also run fine w/ the new hardware.

Improvements:
    - The x-server with nvidia proprietary driver does not crash upon switching users and/or coming out of suspend like it often did previously.
    - Configuring sound is better and more logical to me, head phones and speakers are detected correctly unlike previously, and the sound is randomly muted much less often.

Remaining issue from 13.10:
    - The top bar and unity launcher usually aren't rendered upon switching users and/or coming out of suspend. I get what looks like random noise (but static) until I click in the area where they should be shown. If anything it's worse w/ the upgrade, but I couldn't swear to it.
    - compiz gradually consumes increasing memory over time, altho it seems like it maxes out at around 300MB. I don't know if this is a bug or if that's the way it normally works. Memory use seems to increase when switching users, but I don't think this is consistent.
    Last edited by zeke2135; April 20th, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Beans

everything works perfect after install, really nice and fast, the problem begins when I set LDAP, from that point on, I have no GDM and working from the terminar to starting X (startx) works but really unstable and no sound

I this twice and always the same looking for a fix.

Beans

Xubuntu...
    I did the upgrade from 13.10 through updater, just for GP, resulting in a complete crash, no biggy this was just for GP anyways. I have and Aspire 7520 with dual AMD K8 Athlon64 processors, 4 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7000M, and Broadcom BCM4311 (not factory), and a second monitor attached to the laptop. 2x 500 Gb hdd (sda1 = / , sda2 = /tmp , sda3 = swap , sda4 = /Isolibrary (data), sdb1 = /Crypt (data).

I usually just do a fresh install so I thought I would give the update a spin for reporting purposes. Generally updates go smooth but this one went south unfortunately. The system made it through downloads and a good deal into installation when the laptop's primary screen went black and the second screen was filled with alternating carrot and ampersand (^@^@^@^@^@^@ etc. etc.). Caps lock was flashing which typically has been a kernel panic. System was non-responsive.

Installing 14.04 using "Something else" from a Unetbootin built thumbdrive worked as advertised until reboot. The system hung after bios splash and again the flashing caps lock. Doing a hard restart confirmed kernel panic, at least in the build scenario. I get at boot, (sequence number was consistant in every attempt at 1.6 ish):
    [ 1.610263] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Final solution was to dd the iso to a thumbdrive and build as usual and here I am. There is nothing to solve here, just did it for testing. My system is from 2007 but has plenty of juice left. I have had kernel panics in the past derived from trying to load the bcm drivers from additional drivers for the broadcom. My wifi has to be activated via
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    So if 14.04 tried to load those drivers then it would explain the crashes. I did see what looked like bcm activity during the thumbdrive installation processes so was thinking this may be the culprit.

Willing to answer questions or post bug if necessary.

Fred

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast