View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I decided to wait well into the beta2 cycle to install Trusty since 13.04 was already beyond service. It was working flawlessly but I wanted to be using a supported OS.
    I blew my secondary laptop away and doid a fresh install of Trusty beta 2 without issues. after a few days decided to replace a Mint installation of my primary PC (I kept 13.04 installed). Since then I only had to revert to 13.04 to check some info. I've not had problems with the HP desktop either.

This release has been extremely stable - I'm probably going to embrace LTS at this point.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Unhappy Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I upgraded a [X/L]Ubuntu 13.10 installation on an old Dell (Celeron) Media Center desktop to 14.04 today. There were a string of failures, starting with the Samba upgrade failing. Now attempting su - or sudo in a terminal results in a segmentation fault. The applications menu does not appear on the screen and the Software Updater cannot be found. So I'm basically stuck with an unusable system.

Any suggestions, other than a (painful) complete reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

I made a fresh install in an external hard drive. Installation was smooth.

Haven't done much with it yet except some basic configuring and customization. Most things seem to work except for two: cannot change default application for file type (.deb specifically) in Firefox and galternatives doesn't work http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217505 The Firefox issue may have something to do with my settings, need to check that again.

As I am not planning to replace 13.10 til late July I will take my time.

I don't like the default wallpaper so much, the colour is too dull for my taste and I also don't like the sharp wedges, so I switched it for the default wallpaper from 13.10, looks a lot better IMO.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 18th, 2014 at 01:23 AM.

Beans

Treating Ubuntu as a rolling release .... and keep jumping in at regular intervals along the development cycle .

Always watching what the developers are attempting to do ........

Then when lulls in activity take place and few errors are being reported ....... I pull off a version to try it out alongside my other installs.

The jump is not so big doing it this way ........ rarely get caught out nowadays ........ in the old days things were different.

Method for a upgrade is not really the orthodox method ..... so now its usually a case of KISS ...... Keep It Simple Stupid ..........

Make sure your current install is uptodate and reporting no major errors back .......
    make sure you are not trying to fix things by upgrading

a already bad system rarely does just fix itself .........

( Better in this case to do a install alongside your bad one - and slowly phase out the bad one - once you have everything you need in your new one IMHO as you then know you are working from a good solid base system )

But just to clarify what I did do ....... 32 bit was a upgrade from Ultimate Edition 2.8 ....... 64 bit was a clean install ........ just the other day when I saw someone saying upgrading is not easy to do .......

I picked the most difficult distro I could think of to upgrade - not even sure what version it was - just as a challenge used Pear Linux ......
    but I did end up with a black screen - luckily had a internet connection though ........ and could get to a console screen to change things
    to suit ........ it now is faster and smoother than any of my other installs .......
    ( Knowing how to use chroot ........ from another running linux system - can save systems too - but you need to have 2 Linux systems )

What makes it easier ......... (a little experience can go a long way) ..... to ensure a better experience - keep a backup of important data before
    doing anything you consider drastic .

Eventually things become easier ...... so not sure which ticks to put in which boxes ..... but Ubuntu is now reaching a level with the other
    major desktops.

....... there is only so far a desktop experience can go before they all hit a glass ceiling - then the only thing is reliability .......

Not seen many things that cannot be done on Linux anymore - even my microscope works from the USB using cheese - all it is is a glorified webcam after all - but it would not work on the system it was designed for ......... Windows.

Best of Luck to Everyone ...... certainly hope the net stays open and free of restrictions - limits on bandwidth - no extra costs etc.
    Not a lot the distro creators can do to stop outside forces from ruining the experience though other than coming up with a way to ease
    off on the amount of downloading of data needed - but that is another thing - how to avoid bottlenecks .... using specific release dates.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did a clean install of Lubuntu 14.04 a couple of days ago. Only notable glitch was that the network manager applet was missing. Other people reported this on the Lubuntu mailing list.

I opened a terminal and ran nm-applet.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Trusty has been Installed on an AMD desktop and Intel powered HP netbook with no errors of any kind . The kernel included wireless driver works great on the netbook so no need to install the proprietary driver. The webcam and mic also work out of the box. I briefly installed the latest Gnome Shell which I have enjoyed using and removed it and not because it didn't work.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 18th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I did a clean install of Lubuntu 14.04 a couple of days ago. Only notable glitch was that the network manager applet was missing. Other people reported this on the Lubuntu mailing list.

I opened a terminal and ran nm-applet.
    Same problem with Lubuntu today. I thought they had left out my wireless firmware, but the whole applet was missing. Big bug for an LTS release.
    Xubuntu--flawless install on my wife's computer.
    Ubuntu--flawless install on my computer. 14.04 feels very solid so far to me.

Beans

Xubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 upgrade went well. During the installation the terminal spit-out some comments that the installation is likely broken (?), but when it asked to restart to complete the installation everything has gone well for a number of hours now. Hooray.

Beans

@emarine1 was it this

(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:31412): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
    Try running the command

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
    to make things work again for the time being.

I had to install this manually - is there a dependency missing somewhere ....

apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev

Then do

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Tried all the flavors over the last little bit. Currently running (X)(K) and Gnome with no install issues and for the most part a few little bugs. Over all it has been a sweet ride.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast