Thread: How long does Canonical provide security updates?

Beans

Question How long does Canonical provide security updates?

Because I am using version 12.04 LTS, I thought security updates would be provided until 2017. But then I found a Java plugin called "Iced Tea". Even though this plugin can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Center, it says under the plugin's page that "Canonical provides critical updates for Icedtea Java Plugin until October 2013". I though Canonical would support all the software that could be installed from the Software Center (not just the operating system itself) until 2017. Does this mean if I install this plugin, I'm putting myself at risk?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How long does Canonical provide security updates?

Canonical allows downloading through the Software Center of certain applications that have undergone compatibility testing, but support resides with the vendor. Unless I am very mistaken, support for the product you mention ended in October, 2013 (or 2014 if the date is a typo, as seems likely).
    Last edited by whitesmith; April 17th, 2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarity
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Only software in the main repository is officially supported. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I go to the software centre I often see the comment "Canonical does not provide updates for ... Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community." For example, Chromium.

As for IcedTea Java Plugin the 14.04 software centre says "Canonical provides critical updates for IcedTea Java Plugin until April 2019.

So, there is the reason the version in 12.04 is loosing or lost support. It is replaced by a more updated version in Ubuntu 14.04. To keep any risk factor to a minimum run the latest Ubuntu LTS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Can I upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 without having to wipe the hard drive or losing my programs and data?

And how can I tell what respository a piece of software found in the Software Center comes from, aside from when it says updates have ceased already?
    Last edited by sanssadness; April 18th, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanssadness View Post
    Can I upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 without having to wipe the hard drive or losing my programs and data?
    Of course, but I would advise making backups first if you haven't done so recently.
    Code:
    do-release-upgrade
    And how can I tell what respository a piece of software found in the Software Center comes from, aside from when it says updates have ceased already?
    I don't use Software Center, so I don't know if it can show repository information or not; however, Synaptic Package Manager can if you click the 'Origin' tab, and so can
    Code:
    apt-cache policy <package name>
    or
    Code:
    apt-cache show <package name> | grep Section:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er
    Of course, but I would advise making backups first if you haven't done so recently
    I've got backups, yes. But having to reinstall all programs would still cause me considerable headache.

Would you still expect my upgrade to be free of problems if I have a complicated partitioning scheme that involves encryption?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

download the 14.04 ISO, and burn it
    to have a copy of 14.04 available

alt+ft, type:
    update-manager [enter]

upgrade online to 14.04
    is something goes wrong, you allways have a backup available

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Would you still expect my upgrade to be free of problems if I have a complicated partitioning scheme that involves encryption?
    Partitioning scheme shouldn't matter.

I have zero experience with encryption so I can't advise you on that.