Thread: galternatives buttons not clickable

Beans

galternatives buttons not clickable

galternatives is a convenient gui tool for switching between several versions of the same application (update-alternatives in the cli) in 14.04 I cannot add new paths and if I do this with the command line "sudo update-alternatives install.." the new path to the alternative shows up but not clickable. Since galternatives works in 13.10 and it is exactly the same version and build in 14.04 I think the problem lies elsewhere in 14.04 and probably some other applications also exhibit the same symptom.

Any thought or comment? Probably not too many people use this tools but I think I should give it a try..

Beans

Re: galternatives buttons not clickable

Does not work on other de sessions either (lxde and gnome-session-flashback metacity) so it has apparently nothing to do with unity/compiz as I have suspected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, galternatives is unusable on 14.04 LTS. Shame.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Men's work (CLI) should be left to men not to the boys (GUI)...

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Men's work (CLI) should be left to men not to the boys (GUI)...
    Well everything can be done in CLI, but gui is convenient and I don't have to always check minor details like whether it should be 'sudo update-alternatives --configure' or 'sudo update-alternatives --config'. Real men have better use of their memory (as in the brain) than to memorize incantations and better use of their time than learning fast typing.

Beans

In case anyone interested, I fixed galternatives and repacked the deb. I've uploaded it to http://www.tusfiles.net/73ubmk8jlv50.

galternatives mistakenly referenced /usr/sbin/update-alternatives instead of /usr/bin/update-alternatives. So all references to it have been replaced.

Alternatively, you can create a link via `sudo ln /usr/sbin/update-alternatives /usr/bin`. This should work as well but the link may get removed during upgrades, etc.