Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom BCM4312

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Broadcom BCM4312

I just installed Xubuntu 12.04 on an a netbook. OS runs great but issue with Wifi. I installed the 3rd party drivers when installing the OS. It asked me if i wanted to install the additional drivers and I did. The wireless network icon now appears but I cannot use it to connect. When right clicking on it, wireless network is greyed out. I would like to install this on an older laptop I have also that has a broadcom chip for wireless also, but I am very inexperienced with linux wireless. I found this link (http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php) but not sure how to install this. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Broadcom of course

You just need to install the updates for the first time...and then it will work just fine..Hope this will solve the problem
    Nav

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Broadcom of course

unsure of what update you are referring to. I did do the updates on Xubuntu and restarted the computer. The issue persists.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Broadcom

Did you read the sticky notes?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am not sure what you are referring to, so I guess I did not. Sorry. can you tell me where to find them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is one... there may be others...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you, I will work on this later today. I appreciate all the responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just for the benefit of you and the searchers, the Additional Drivers tool happily and cheerfully installs the wrong driver in several cases. Please check the sticky and compare your pci.id. If yours requires something other than bcmwl-kernel-source, then you will need to remove the incorrect driver, as outlined in the sticky, install the correct driver or, more likely, firmware and then reboot.

The pci.id is everything; it is needed to identify the device and thereafter install the correct driver or firmware. Searchers, do not just read any old BT4 or Arch or Suse thread and read that for some obscure Broadcom that is undoubtedly not the same as yours; that you need to boil a skunk in kerosene and chant a magic incantation to get your Broadcom working. It probably won't work and you'll end up with a big mess that Iowan and mörgæs and I will spend hours undoing.

Please do not bring me your boiled skunk.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for your input. ThinkPenguin.com will be my next step if the above instructions do not work for my instance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by windowsfree View Post
    Thanks for your input. ThinkPenguin.com will be my next step if the above instructions do not work for my instance.
    That would be a remote 12th or 13th step. My suggested next step is to post back and tell us what pci.id you have, what you tried, what went wrong and ask for just a little additional help.

I am pretty confident you'll find the answer in the sticky.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast