Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Wireless supported without problem?

Beans

Re: Is Wireless supported without problem?

Create an ISO to a USB and select try before you install. Then you will have a pretty good idea what is working and not.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't have access to a wired internet connection, only Wifi by a network I don't really have access to, provided in my room by the landlord.

That's why I hope that the Ubuntu kernel drivers will suport the wifi card out of the box, whichever it is, on the new laptop I will purchase. If Ubuntu does support a wide range of card, than I guess I stand a very good chance. That was my initial question.

That would be convenient for me..

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Create an ISO to a USB and select try before you install. Then you will have a pretty good idea what is working and not.
    That may be a solution. I just hope not to be stuck with Windows because of an unsuported wifi card. I hope it will not be the case.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 16th, 2014 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Installing with wired connection is not necessary, but it prevents many problems.

• Many cards, not only Broadcoms, need additional drivers.
    • The wifi connection could be slow and/or unstable, especially with the old 802.11 B and G standards.
    • The user might need to search or post in Ubuntuforums or do other kinds of troubleshooting.

I always recommend a wired connection because I don't know who will be reading my advice in the future. It might be a beginner taking his first steps into the Buntu world, and I want his first encounter (that is, the installation) to be as safe and smooth as possible. Bringing the portable to a place with wired connection is often a good investment.

= = =
    Tar_Ni, I think you should just try. If it fails then you have to give it a go again at some friend's place.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu supports a lot of wireless devices but with each new release and update many of them need a little tweaking.

The newer the hardware the more likely support has not arrived yet for your wireless card.

Broadcom cards are usually very stable and supported nicely, but they require firmware after installation in many cases due to legal reasons.

During the time that I have worked with wireless issues about three years now, I have seen devices that are supported well begin to have a hard time to get them to work and many that were not supported know work well, it just depends on the kernel and your particular device, but most can be made to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks guys for all your replies.

I will try it and see what happens. I will start a new thread if I have problem making it work.

Have a nice day.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok, but first please mark this one 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12