Thread: Help Me Pick Out a USB

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Help Me Pick Out a USB

After buying a 32GB Sandisk Glider for Ubuntu, I've ran into way too many problems on too many occasions, and I'm sick of it, I can't get my persistence files to work, and it's just not made for being a LiveUSB so I was wondering if any of you could recommend me a new USB to get. I was looking at a PNY USB but what do I know.

Requirements:
    • 32GB
    • Can double as an Ubuntu LiveUSB with no problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help Me Pick Out a USB

I wonder if you got a 'bad' stick. I've used 3 different brands of flash drives - Toshiba (from Best Buy), MicroCenter's house brand and Centon among others for live installs. I am not aware of any brand specific issues. The only inconvenience I've run into is some devices do not have activity LEDs. Sandisk Blades and certain PNY devices are like that. When using the device as intended e.g. for data storage I guess the lack of an activity indicator is not as important. When using as a boot device it's nice to know that the drive is not hung but that something is happening, even if there's nothing on the screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My problem is that a Microcenter is nearby and I am frugal (others may say cheap).
    But every time I am at Microcenters checkout they have all the flash drives. And every time the price is cheaper than last time. I try not to go to the store too much. Latest was that new USB3 flash drives were only a dollar more than USB2 and that was still cheaper than the last USB2 drive of same size previously.

I did find the USB3 flash drive to be about 10% faster on my USB2 ports. I do not yet have USB3 ports, but will in future and figured why not start now.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    My problem is that a Microcenter is nearby and I am frugal (others may say cheap).
    But every time I am at Microcenters checkout they have all the flash drives. And every time the price is cheaper than last time. I try not to go to the store too much. Latest was that new USB3 flash drives were only a dollar more than USB2 and that was still cheaper than the last USB2 drive of same size previously.

I did find the USB3 flash drive to be about 10% faster on my USB2 ports. I do not yet have USB3 ports, but will in future and figured why not start now.
    Clever like that, aren't they? Supermarkets have tabloids & candy at the checkout, MicroCenter has flash drives.
    Last edited by kurt18947; April 18th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you consider how you intend to use the USB pendrive and then check at the following links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites
    Link to USB 3.0 Flash Drive Speed Tests
    Link to USB 2 and USB 3 speed tests for installers

I would recommend that you get a pendrive, that is fast reading and writing 'many small files' even if it is more expensive than standard pendrives.