Thread: Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

Beans

Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

When I was recently without any Ubuntu install for a few days due to removing & then having a bad image I remembered I had an Xubuntu boot up disk so installed that last night.
    I really don't know xubuntu at all but found it wierd that after installing 2 apps I needed, gparted & usb-creator-gtk, that they were nowhere to be found in the menus.
    (though did show in settings menu editor

After finally getting Ubuntu back decided to take a look, it seems that having "Settings" in the desktop's Categories= line is an issue in xubuntu.
    (after removing Settings from the line both apps now show up in the menu (accessories) & recently used.
    Is this some known limitation/bug of xubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

I believe it was this bug report that changed this (patch). The intent was to put all settings-type apps into the settings manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    I believe it was this bug report that changed this (patch). The intent was to put all settings-type apps into the settings manager.

That report/fix release seems pretty well grounded when in the specifics & I guess after 20 months well accepted (behavior.
    Though in my limited use I have to say it makes no sense to me, why exclude apps from the 'upfront' menu solely based of them having Settings in their .desktop's Categories
    (not to mention 2 apparently useful subs of "all" & "recently used" in that menu.
    Applications tend to use a number of types in their .desktops, some liberally like Settings. Gparted isn't really a 'settings' app, s-d-c not at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've argued this point numerous times