Thread: Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

Beans

Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

When I was recently without any Ubuntu install for a few days due to removing & then having a bad image I remembered I had an Xubuntu boot up disk so installed that last night.
    I really don't know xubuntu at all but found it wierd that after installing 2 apps I needed, gparted & usb-creator-gtk, that they were nowhere to be found in the menus.
    (though did show in settings menu editor

After finally getting Ubuntu back decided to take a look, it seems that having "Settings" in the desktop's Categories= line is an issue in xubuntu.
    (after removing Settings from the line both apps now show up in the menu (accessories) & recently used.
    Is this some known limitation/bug of xubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Xubuntu menus, some apps don't show

I believe it was this bug report that changed this (patch). The intent was to put all settings-type apps into the settings manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    I believe it was this bug report that changed this (patch). The intent was to put all settings-type apps into the settings manager.

That report/fix release seems pretty well grounded when in the specifics & I guess after 20 months well accepted (behavior.
    Though in my limited use I have to say it makes no sense to me, why exclude apps from the 'upfront' menu solely based of them having Settings in their .desktop's Categories
    (not to mention 2 apparently useful subs of "all" & "recently used" in that menu.
    Applications tend to use a number of types in their .desktops, some liberally like Settings. Gparted isn't really a 'settings' app, s-d-c not at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I've argued this point numerous times
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here