Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS cannot boot under UEFI; Windows 8 disappeared too

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS cannot boot under UEFI; Windows 8 disappeared too

Hi everyone, I hope my problem is solvable. I just got my MSI GE70 back as it was being fixed and upgraded. It had Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 on it, but I was expecting to have to reinstall everything. But everything was still there, but Ubuntu wouldn't boot (the BIOS had been updated). I reinstalled it on the same partition, and after a restart it went straight to the BIOS because all of a sudden, no hd's were recognized. All of this has been with "UEFI with CSM" set in the BIOS.

I then discovered that I can't even boot from the Ubuntu liveUSB unless the boot mode is set to "Legacy" (the third mode is just "UEFI"): I get as far as the menu with the options to "try", "install", and check for errors, but if I select any of them, the screen goes black and nothing happens. I followed some instructions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI and used boot-repair and here is the output of that http://paste.ubuntu.com/7257929/

After a restart and switching the BIOS back to UEFI, it successfully went to GRUB, which included both Ubuntu and Windows. I selected Ubuntu and I got a blank purple screen that never went anywhere. After another restart, I don't get GRUB anymore, it just goes straight to the BIOS again, not seeing any hd's.

I hope there is a way to get it work with UEFI, but I've also read that I can switch the Ubuntu installation to legacy, which would also be fine I guess. But I don't understand why I don't even have an option to boot into Windows anymore. The installation must have overwritten something.

Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS cannot boot under UEFI; Windows 8 disappeared too

Did you have RAID originally?
    I really do not know RAID, but thought the efi partition had to be outside the RAID, but yours is inside the RAID?

It looks like sda & sdc are RAID and sdb is a data drive? And sdd is flash drive.

From UEFI do you have Windows & Ubuntu entries?

Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on mapper/isw_cgjjededdc_Volume1p2/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi file!

But I do not know if this is your drive or your RAID which is inside your partitions:
    You also show this error:
    Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
    This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
    Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?

gpt partition table in middle of drive
    launch gdisk, then type x, then type e, then type w to save your changes
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/44699...bout-gpt-table

GPT fdisk Tutorial - user srs5694 in forums
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439794
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks, yes I forgot to mention, I have two solid state hd's in RAID 0, and there's nothing on the platter storage drive. Before the BIOS upgrade I had the dual boot working, but not with GRUB actually, I had to change which partition to boot from in the BIOS, so that might have to do with what you said about EFI being outside the RAID. I don't know how to do this...

By entries, do you mean in the BIOS? There are currently no hard drives listed as boot devices in the BIOS; the only way I can get to them is by legacy booting with the liveUSB.

You said:
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on mapper/isw_cgjjededdc_Volume1p2/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi file!
    I don't know what this means or how to do it...sorry I'm new at linux. Could you explain how to do this?

Meanwhile I will try to do the other two things you said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That entry is what Boot-Repair is saying but it does not make sense.
    With UEFI you only see in the menu Windows or ubuntu but the actual path is a lot longer. So Boot-Repair gives you the full path.
    mapper/isw_cgjjededdc_Volume1p2/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    All you should see in UEFI menu is the ubuntu and also a Windows entry.

But your UEFI is inside the RAID, and I thought UEFI did not have RAID drivers but only could read an efi or FAT32 partition outside the RAID.
    But again I do not know RAID and only have seen one or two with RAID.

RAID 0 is not really recommended anyway. It is for a bit faster system, but you have high risk to total loss of data. If you have daily backups or other data preservation procedures or do not care about any data on this system then your RAID 0 may be ok.

Don't bother with RAID 0 unless you have a specific need for speed without data redundancy, since if one drive goes out, you lose the whole array.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-is-not-backup

One or two users with similar systems, just broke RAID and went with two separate drives. Not sure of all the details.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'm aware of what RAID 0 does, and aside from the fact that it was the default on this machine, I decided I wanted the increase in speed, and I don't keep any extremely important stuff on here that I don't back up. So I want to try to fix this without breaking RAID and losing my windows install, but I'm definitely willing to do that if I can isolate the problem specifically to RAID. If I have to completely start over, then I'll probably go without the RAID because it's simpler, like you're saying. Meanwhile, I'm looking through the links you gave about gdisk, etc. I installed it while on legacy, inside the liveUSB session, but can't figure out how it works. The simple commands you pasted above don't seem to agree with its usage, they don't do anything.

Thanks again for any more help!

Beans

Ok I'm starting to figure out gdisk. Here, /dev/sdc is the RAID array in question. Using the command 'v', I get the following error report:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gdisk /dev/sdc
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Warning! Disk size is smaller than the main header indicates! Loading
    secondary header from the last sector of the disk! You should use 'v' to
    verify disk integrity, and perhaps options on the experts' menu to repair
    the disk.
    Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating
    backup header from main header.

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: damaged

****************************************************************************
    Caution: Found protective or hybrid MBR and corrupt GPT. Using GPT, but disk
    verification and recovery are STRONGLY recommended.

Command (? for help): v

Caution: The CRC for the backup partition table is invalid. This table may
    be corrupt. This program will automatically create a new backup partition
    table when you save your partitions.

Problem: The secondary header's self-pointer indicates that it doesn't reside
    at the end of the disk. If you've added a disk to a RAID array, use the 'e'
    option on the experts' menu to adjust the secondary header's and partition
    table's locations.

Problem: Disk is too small to hold all the data!
    (Disk size is 468862128 sectors, needs to be 937713664 sectors.)
    The 'e' option on the experts' menu may fix this problem.

Problem: GPT claims the disk is larger than it is! (Claimed last usable
    sector is 937713630, but backup header is at
    937713663 and disk size is 468862128 sectors.
    The 'e' option on the experts' menu will probably fix this problem

Problem: partition 5 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 6 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 7 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 8 is too big for the disk.

Identified 8 problems!

If I use 'p' in Recovery/transformation options, it gives me this report of the array:

Code:
    Recovery/transformation command (? for help): p
    Disk /dev/sdc: 468862128 sectors, 223.6 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 9E857D76-B23B-45A7-8CCB-135AC9EC4D72
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 468862094
    Partitions will be aligned on 256-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048         1230847   600.0 MiB   2700  Basic data partition
       2         1230848         1845247   300.0 MiB   EF00  EFI system partition
       3         1845248         2107391   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part
       4         2107392       457152511   217.0 GiB   0700  Basic data partition
       5       866632960       905695487   18.6 GiB    8200  
       6       905697280       906414079   350.0 MiB   2700  
       7       906416128       937711615   14.9 GiB    2700  Basic data partition
       8       457152512       866631039   195.3 GiB   0700

I'm not sure about all these numbers. In the first report, it looks like it wants the RAID array to be the number of sectors that the 1TB platter drive is, which I definitely don't understand. The second report makes a little more sense to me; I've seen all 8 of these partitions before. Most of them were already there from Microsoft when I got the machine. The 217 GiB is my Windows install, and the 195 GiB must be the partition I made for Ubuntu, on which it is in theory still installed. (Again, I'm using the liveUSB right now, in legacy mode, because nothing else will boot.) I also made 20 gigs of swap space at some point, which is maybe what the 18.6 GiB entry is.

Appreciate any help, I don't know how to interpret this. For instance, what do the "code"s and "name"s refer to? How do I use gdisk to repair this drive? I already tried the method suggested above, which is using 'x', then 'e', then 'w'. That doesn't seem to do anything, here it is:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gdisk /dev/sdc
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Warning! Disk size is smaller than the main header indicates! Loading
    secondary header from the last sector of the disk! You should use 'v' to
    verify disk integrity, and perhaps options on the experts' menu to repair
    the disk.
    Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating
    backup header from main header.

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: damaged

Caution: Found protective or hybrid MBR and corrupt GPT. Using GPT, but disk
    verification and recovery are STRONGLY recommended.

Command (? for help): x

Expert command (? for help): e
    Relocating backup data structures to the end of the disk

Expert command (? for help): w

Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by
    468849521 blocks!
    You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.

Problem: partition 5 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 6 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 7 is too big for the disk.

Problem: partition 8 is too big for the disk.
    Aborting write operation!
    Aborting write of new partition table.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gdisk will use the primary partition table to create a corrected backup partiton table.
    The link posted above to the askubuntu repair is by the author of gdisk and he is the one that really knows gpt partitioning.

The codes are used by gdisk to define the type of partition. Actually gpt uses very long GUIDs for definition of the partitions. The four letter codes are short cuts.
    Near bottom is list of standard GUIDs, descriptions should be the same as the gdisk shorten codes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Did your system boot in BIOS or UEFI before.
    And do you have settings in UEFI/BIOS to directly boot RAID? That may be how it works.

The only reason not to have the RAID use all the disk is if you do have to have a efi or /boot partition outside of the RAID for it to work. But it seems you did not originally have that?

Beans

In my Aptio setup utility (I don't know whether to call it a "BIOS" or "UEFI" or something else...) I have a "SATA Mode Selection" parameter, which is, and has always been, "RAID", since it has always treated these two drives as a RAID 0 config. The other options for that are "IDE" and "AHCI". And under "Boot" I have three "Boot mode select" options: "LEGACY", "UEFI", and "UEFI with CSM". The latter is what was selected when I recently got my computer back from the vendor. But I don't remember what the options were or what was selected here before the upgrade...maybe the upgrade updated the system to UEFI.

I don't think I had any boot partition outside the RAID array before, when things were working, since the only place that could have been was on the 1TB platter drive, and I never have touched that. But as I said, the way it worked before was that I had to manually select, in the BIOS/whatever, which partition to boot from (in "Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities") and "Windows Boot Loader" and "ubuntu" were both options.

Appreciate advice. For now, I am wondering, since the outputs of gdisk clearly show that the array is messed up, if I can repair the array with gdisk, or some other way. The sector indeces overlap, etc.

Thanks.

Beans

Oh actually the sector indeces don't overlap, they're just out of order, sorry. I have no idea how to read this...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do not know RAID enough to know what issues you have.

But part of the issue is that the RAID says it is 480GB and gdisk says the drive is 223GiB.Disk /dev/sdc:

468862128 sectors, 223.6 GiB
    Disk /dev/mapper/isw_cgjjededdc_Volume1: 480.1 GB, 480109658112 bytes

I do not know if somehow your RAID is counting both drives. Normally it shows two hardware drives, but RAID then only sees one RAID drive that is the two combined. Depending on version of RAID, is how space is counted.
    With RAID 0 it may just be the sum of the two drives? But then I do not know how gdisk would define partitions inside the RAID?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast