Thread: Only 2 days to go - Plymouth now crashes - think its since kernel .23 to .24

Beans

Only 2 days to go - Plymouth now crashes - think its since kernel .23 to .24

Been running flawlessly ........ and now every reboot ....

I keep getting two warning boxes - do you want to report this error

Plymouthd has crashed ........ yet I can still work ....... only every now and then

the same things appear ......... here is a link to a screen shot - full size ..........

http://i.minus.com/ibqtLgRTUrqUNg.png

Was booting to or through lightdm as I had autologin set

but just this minute tried kdm to see if the errors would go away ..... but they are still here.

( Have switched over to kdm now to boot ......... but the same messages appear. )

Not sure if its just best to drop back to 2 or 3 days back and use my snapshot of the system

or if this is something that will be fixed in the next couple of days ........

Might just be because I use optimus ....... but who knows ..........

If anyone knows what to search for in the logs to check .... leave me a quick reply please .......

and I will post any more information ....... meanwhile I will try to send the error in to launchpad.

Cannot send in the report message ....... it all just vanished into thin air ...........
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 15th, 2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: update to say the error message cannot be sent in .... guess reporting errors is not working also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Only 2 days to go - Plymouth now crashes - think its since kernel .23 to .24

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    and I will post any more information ....... meanwhile I will try to send the error in to launchpad.

Cannot send in the report message ....... it all just vanished into thin air ...........
    What do you mean by vanished? Those crash reports should be in this directory /var/crash.

Beans

Re: Only 2 days to go - Plymouth now crashes - think its since kernel .23 to .24

The text from the file is here

_sbin_plymouthd.0.crash

I sent the pastebin of the log - direct to the user above ......

https://bugs.launchpad.net/~stachows...subscribedbugs

Hopefully you know how to get it to the right place ...........
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 16th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have 20 some crashes, but mostly related to no awaken after sleeping.

I would click report and they would simply vanish off the screen.

I had no idea where they went, but do see them now in var/crash

Some say uploaded, but I wonder because I never followed through with filling in all the details, logging into ubuntu bug web site.

Did they ever go there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I have more in there too ........ but they are old ones ....... and they seemed to get resolved as they
    never appeared again in updates and upgrades .........

keith@keith-K53SV:/var/crash$ ls
    _sbin_plymouthd.0.crash _usr_bin_baloo_file_extractor.1000.crash
    _sbin_plymouthd.0.upload _usr_bin_compiz.1000.crash
    _sbin_plymouthd.0.uploaded _usr_bin_Xorg.0.crash
    _usr_bin_ardesia.1000.crash
    But the one I just reported as been with me 2 days now .... but like the rest thought it would soon get
    resolved with being at the very start of things ...........

Thing is - you cannot just remove plymouth or step back easily from what I am finding .........

But I do have a snapshot from 4 days back ......... would rather get this sorted though as I do a lot in 4 days.

Beans

That crash is 3 + years old & obviously more an annoyance than an issue -
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/750405

As mentioned elsewhere apport reporting to launchpad for crashers has been turned off for 14.04, see here

Maybe try cleaning out /var/crash/, this should suffice if there are files in there no matter who owns
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/crash/*.*

Beans
    Hidden!

Do crash files in /var.crash impact the operation of the OS in any way?

I ask because until I was able to get a successful sleep- wake cycle, (miracle I think) every boot, a system error crash message would pop up. And I would have click it off 11 times for it t finally go away. (after each click a new message)
    And it was extremely annoying.

Beans

The crash is new and affects 9 other users ....... and it is being reported here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...h/+bug/1216022

I just added myself to it .........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

same here but only evry so often not today though
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans

I think I will make a snapshot of my system here .........

Then drop back to 4 days ago

Clear out the crash reports

Then see if any appear again ....... because 4 days ago I was not getting these messages on the screen

and they are annoying as I hate errors - but even more I dislike constantly removing pop ups on the screen.

Seem to come up as I am editing or wanting to type things .

It was reported last year on this - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...h/+bug/1216022

plymouthd assert failure: plymouthd: ./plugin.c:1304: open_input_source: Assertion `backend != ((void *)0)' failed. Edit

Reported by Zsolt Fatér on 2013-08-23

So maybe it is old ...... but it is annoying and its got to go ....... why should it just appear over the
    last 4 days.

And if you look at the last posters on it in the comments ....... they are all recent ........... this month

Update .... never got as far as going back to my snapshot .... but the errors stopped flashing up
    cannot be sure if it was something I just did ...... with the change to kde login ........
    But I have marked it as solved anyway at least for me for now.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 16th, 2014 at 01:57 AM. Reason: added a lame explanation of it going away - but I really am not sure why.